Phone : Internet

How is it possible for the internet to work but not the phone? The 'net works fine, but no d/t on the phone.

I seem to remember that even without a filter it's possible to get a dial tone by 'dabbing' a phone across the incoming pair, but nothing. 54v right enough but nothing to dial with.

The other confusing point is that these 'dead' phones will ring, even displaying the incoming caller's id, but once you answer it there's nothing but a periodic buzzing, which (I assume ) is the ac ring volts.

Odd n'est pas?

Anyone else had this problem? (I've done the usual business of disconnecting everything back to the incoming pair so I'm pretty sure the problem isn't internal).

p

Yeeeeesss (as Paxo would say).  I thought as I posted the original, that I should have been a bit more specific:

The internet and the phone are BOTH bog-standard France Telecom connections, arriving at the house down a single, elderly copper pair.

The ISP is Free, so - technically - I do have a 2nd line out of their ADSL box, but the reality is that we are so far from the nearest node (getting on for 5km) that the free box introduces such hideous delay and/or echo as to render it practically unusable.

p