Listening to London Radio stations

[quote user="PaulT"]Ah, good old MW.......

Used to listen to the offshore 'pirates' until the last one was forced to close due to increased legislation in 1999.

OH bought me some CDs of recordings made of various stations. Sound quality will never be high due to the characteristics of the MW but also affected after dark due to atmospheric conditions.So, quality was variable, also affected by lowering transmitter power due to fuel issues.

When the broadcasts were happen have received with quite good quality broadcasts from the North Sea.

At the end of the day, the DJs on the recordings are far better than those on radio today where their ego is their main concern rather than the music.[/quote]

Your posts bring back memories.   Particularly Caroline in the late 1970s and then again 1983 - 1985,  after that it went too commercial for me.

Caroline didn't impose tight filters on their AF,  which meant that they "spilt" onto the adjacent MW channels more than they should have done (naughty!) but it did mean that they sounded better than most "legal" (technically and authorisation) stations.    Peter Chicago always did a brilliant job on their engineering.

And how right you are about the DJ's (lack of) egos.   For me Tom Anderson will always remain the best - a man of relatively few words and breathtaking musical knowledge.