tv internet and sending video clips

Good morning all,

I am after technical help again,I have brought a smart tv with built in free sat and free view so I can have both for when we return to the uk.I connected the tv and it straight away picked up my orange wi fi and downloaded all the french sites on there,what I want to know is how do I get English sites like the BBC and the likes.I have my lap top geared up to get the BBC so is it possible to somehow use that to get them on the tv.

Second quick questions how can I send video clips of 30 seconds as when they are received most people cannot open,they are for an outside wildlife camera I have in place.

Hope this all makes sense and thanks for any help,

John

ps. got leclercs coming out to sort out sat dish tomorrow

A couple of things that may be more helpful to others to help you.

What is the make and model of TV?

When you say "French sites" what do you mean, can you give us a list?

I don't know about FreeSat on Smart TV's but certainly with Humax boxes you need the UK version for it to 'auto tune'. If you buy a French version it will always automatically looks for French TV channels although you can add the UK ones manually but it is hard work tapping all the numbers in and it won't pick up the UK program list, only the French. I know this because my satellite installer lent me a French Humax box to test out BBC1 HD a while back. The English Humax box requires you to enter a UK post code when you set it up but that is primarily so that you get the right regional channels for BBC1 and ITV etc. I suspect that this will be the same with the Smart TV using FreeSat i.e. you need a UK version to pick up English TV. If you bought your TV in France then that may be a problem.

On the Humax box there is no facility to use a Proxy Server so BBC I Player won't work, in fact the only one that does is the ITV Player as it does not seem to require you to be in the UK to use it. Again this may be the same on your Smart TV.

Freeview I believe is not a problem as I understand it. It is called TNT in France and both systems I have read are the same. All you do is plug in the aerial and it should 'tune in' automatically in both countries.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Quillan,

The tv is a Samsung smart tv and I have a humax box but waiting for the guys to come tomorrow and sort out the lnbs as one is not working.but I brought all these in the uk so I would not have problems when connected.The apps the tv has downloaded are the french equivalents to the uk I think like France tv,les echo.fr,bfn tv and similar.It may all be ok after the sat dish is sorted out tomorrow so I will have to wait and see.

John.

As you have a Samsung Smart TV - really easy to 'change' countries.

Here's a link to some simple instructions:

http://www.eyeondemand.com/faq/how-do-i-change-my-samsung-tv-app-store/

I suspect by 'sites' you mean 'apps' available on your Smart TV. Samsung Smart TV's are pre-programmed to their country of sale but, as already stated, it's easy to change countries and make your TV think it's in the UK (or anywhere else) - then you can load all the iPlayer, ITV Player, 4OD, Demand 5 apps onto your TV.

Importantly - for viewing in France you'll need a Smart DNS service - again easy to set up on your TV DNS settings.

As for using your Humax box you can easily view BBC iPlayer and ITV Player - again using a Smart DNS service. You simply change the DNS setting in the Network Settings of your Humax box - just tap your Menu button on the Humax remote and you're off...

Happy Viewing !

Chiefluvvie :-)

[quote user="johnycarper"]Thanks Quillan,

The tv is a Samsung smart tv and I have a humax box but waiting for the guys to come tomorrow and sort out the lnbs as one is not working.but I brought all these in the uk so I would not have problems when connected.The apps the tv has downloaded are the french equivalents to the uk I think like France tv,les echo.fr,bfn tv and similar.It may all be ok after the sat dish is sorted out tomorrow so I will have to wait and see.

John.[/quote]

johny - your dish set-up will make no difference at all to the apps available on your Smart TV. You need to 'change' the country set-up on the TV as described above. Once you've done that the TV will automatically delete the French apps and install the UK ones.

[quote user="johnycarper"]Thanks Quillan, The tv is a Samsung smart tv and I have a humax box but waiting for the guys to come tomorrow and sort out the lnbs as one is not working.but I brought all these in the uk so I would not have problems when connected.The apps the tv has downloaded are the french equivalents to the uk I think like France tv,les echo.fr,bfn tv and similar.It may all be ok after the sat dish is sorted out tomorrow so I will have to wait and see. John.[/quote]

If you search for Smart DNS Service a lot of websites come up so there are loads to choose from. A Smart DNS allowes either an individual device (like your Humax box and TV) or your whole network to look like it is in the UK and then you can use "On Demand" (BBC Iplayer etc) and go backwards in time in the guide on your Humax box. I tried one called TrickByte just on my Humax box which works OK with the exception of C4 which I undertand can be a bit tricky to setup but BBC IPlayer, ITV Player and Channel 5 PLayer all work OK both sa on demand or in going backwards through the program guide.

Personally I would forget about the Smart TV bit and use the Humax box becuase I personally think, although others may disagree, that it is easier to setup and knwn to work.

Guess what? I do disagree...

A Samsung Smart TV is really simple to set up (do you have one Quillan?) works really well with all the TV player apps, Netflix, Love Film etc etc - much, much wider choice than any Humax box.

This is all assuming you have a really good internet speed - absolute minimum of 2mbps consistently! If you don't then it's a complete no go. I have 17mbps average so no worries :-)

As far as Smart DNS goes - try overplay.net - never let me down and been using them for over 2 years.

If you don't like this 'all-singing option' then simply use a Chromecast dongle (around 35€ on amazon.fr) plugged into the back of your Smart TV and then 'cast' anything you like from your PC screen to the TV screen (e.g. Filmon, BBC iPlayer Google Play Movies etc etc) using your Chrome browser. Again you need a decent internet speed....

To be honest, satellite systems are on their way out - TV via the internet is the future.....

Well John its up to you. All I can say is the solution I offered is free (for 14 days) takes a minute to setup and costs half to a third the price of overplay if you choose to continue. If you don't like then you can look at other options, there are loads out there.

Thanks to everyone for the replies and as always some very helpful information,I have to be honest and say I don't understand all of it but it gives me something to look at.I have the guys coming in today to sort out why one lnb is not working( dish to high for me)and once its all sorted I will look at the tv,so expect me back on here soon.

Thanks all,

John

[quote user="johnycarper"]Thanks to everyone for the replies and as always some very helpful information,I have to be honest and say I don't understand all of it but it gives me something to look at.I have the guys coming in today to sort out why one lnb is not working( dish to high for me)and once its all sorted I will look at the tv,so expect me back on here soon. Thanks all, John[/quote]

This is why I suggested you use the Humax box initially for what you want because I know from your previous posts you not that 'techie' when it comes to this sort of thing.

Different Smart TV makers have different ways of changing things and some don't allow you to make DNS changes. The IP number of your device has to stay the same which on some TV's it doesn't unless you make certain changes which for somebody like ou adds to the complexity of setting it up. The Humax box will keep the IP address so it is one thing less to worry about plus all Humax boxes have the same menu system if they are the latest models.

To set up your Humax box follow these instructions.

Sign up with one of these Smart DNS suppliers and get the DNS address which will be something like 176.67.169.162

Make sure your Humax box is connected to your router, hard cable is better than WiFi but at the end of the day as long as it is connected is the main thing.

Using the remote control press the 'Home' button.

From the list select 'Settings' (press OK)

From the list of options select Network Connections (press OK)

'Connect Manually' should al;ready be highlighted so press OK

Use the up, down, left and right button to move to the 'Primary DNS' option which will already have some numbers in it.

Press OK and start entering the IP address that you got from the Smart DNS supplier (it moves to the next field automatically if there are three numbers per field, if there is only one or two use the right button to move on).

Once you have entered the last number press OK followed by 'Exit' on the remote.

You will now find that BBC IPlayer etc will work as if you are in the UK as will the ability to move backwards in time on your program guide.

Unfortunatly the Huumax manual is not very good for this sort of thing although their tech support line is OK.

Once your happy with this you should be able to work out by reading the TV manual if and how you can change it on the TV but at least it is simple and quick on the Humax box and it will get you started.

If you hit a problem then just post back here although it really is simple.

Wow ! Don't some people just love to make things as difficult and complicated as possible....and all this from the bloke who posted earlier saying ''On the Humax box there is no facility to use a Proxy Server so BBC I Player won't work''. Hilarious - what a change of tune!

johny - your Samsung Smart TV is very very easy to set up for UK apps and therefore UK based TV Players - much easier than trying to follow the diatribe above about 'one' particular model of Humax box.

Message me if you need any help.

well the leclercs man arrived today and took one look at the dish up on the roof and said he would test it indoors.After a lot of sighs he said the dish did not work and when I pointed out the tv working next to him he said it was intermittent. We explained it worked ok but just wanted the other lnb that did not seem to work changed he said no,why we asked, his answer as he did not know what was wrong he could not fix it.and then left.

We will try a local small shop tomorrow.

Just one question that sounds stupid are all lnbs the same in other words they work anywhere in any country,as he implied ours was English and would not work in France,which is not the case but just wondered..