Annoying messages on Skype

I have set the privacy settings on Skype to 'only receive IMS from my contacts' but constantly get spam messages popping up from 'generals' in the USA. Also some begging ones and one archbishop!

Is there any way I can stop this? I block each one and 'report as abuse' because they are obviously con men.

The Queen, surely?

But that means communicating with these morons and accepting them as contacts. I confess I have done that a couple of times, to tell them to get lost. Just because they are so obviously contacting people at random with no idea who or where they are. I then immediately remove them from contacts.

Yes, I realise they are not IMS but contact requests.

I would be happy for people not to be able to find me on Skype! Especially if it would mean losing these annoying frauds.

I only want friends and family to be Skype contacts and I am in in contact with them anyway.

You will never stop requests completely however you can limit them by:

* Adding the absolute minimum to your profile.

* Giving yourself a non gender specific name.

* For gender say 'Not Specified'.

With those settings I only get maybe one or 2 requests per week.

Also if you have linked your Skype AC to any other service then unlink it.

• 1 month later...
There is no information on our profile and our Skype name is a combination of both our names so not gender specific and - if these people read the name it is obviously 2 people. Even so we get messages such as 'I read your profile and my heart goes out to you' and 'I am looking for a lady friend'. I assume these people just contact any Skype address, like those emailing pretending to be banks, in the hope someone is gullible enough to respond. As I said, I don't see why there is no option to only be contacted by people in your contact list. Friends just say 'Are you on Skype?' and we exchange Skype names.

Suggest it to Skype but don't hold your breath, if they wanted it that way then it would be that way !

Anyway chill, in the great scheme of things a few spurious requests is hardly up there in the top 10 of life's great annoyances is it [kiss]