Any Experts on Spanish Phones?

Some of you may remember that in a few weeks I'm hoping to retrace Sweets and Gems fabulous walk across Northern Spain.  I'm planning to walk in September and I've allowed 7 weeks for the

walk. I plan to carry a smartphone/phablet... it will be my phone, my

camera, my guidebook, my map, my book, my internet, and my link to home (and to you

lot).

I've not bought the phone yet but I'm thinking of getting the Note 3 (my son wants me to get the new HTC) and I'm then I'm thinking of getting a Pay as You Go SIM for use in Spain... ideally sorted advance so it can be set up before I leave home.

We've looked at a few deals but as I've not used a smartphone before I'm

unsure what kind of useage I'll need. How much is 100mb a month? If I'm loading photos to something like skydrive or flickr will that soon

get eaten up?

I've been using mapmywalk at home on my laptop and would like to load

the app onto the phone to trace my steps... but I'm guessing this will

eat into my data usage but I've just no idea how much?  There are a few Camino apps that have been recommended too which I'll also use.

I will take advantage of free

wifi whenever possible but I really like to get this right and sorted

before I go... so any clever people out there who can guide me?

p.s. to give you an idea of my skill level... I currently dont have a mobile phone!

p.p.s It seems like vodaphone is a popular choice in Spain... any others I should consider? And what is happening on the 1st July? Will that impact on my

choices?

a big THANK YOU in advance!

Hi Paul and thanks for the reply - that's pretty much what I thought but I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something obvious.  That's not going to be anywhere near enough! 

I know I can find wifi spots along the way to save my data limit but I do want to be secure in the knowledge that a) I can have coverage/internet/data etc if I need it and b) that it wont cost me an arm and a leg when I get home.

More research needed I think... the most annoying thing is that all these companies are international but the spanish information is only in spanish... why not have a range of language options?  grrr... just my moan for the day!

thanks again!

Rose, this isn't brand new, up-to-date information, but it might help you know what's available:

[url]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travel-advice/9432416/The-best-local-SIM-cards-in-Europe.html[/url]

...and I also found this

[url]http://www.simcardspain.es/en/[/url]