Bad news for FilmOn

North American streaming service Aereo was ruled illegal in the US

Supreme Court on june 25 in a landmark ruling which may have far-reaching

implications for online TV services. On June 27 US-based streaming service Aereo announced it will cease its operations.

The next casualty might be the streaming service FilmOn, which has also

been repeatedly sued for the same reasons. US Court action and fines of

$20,000 a day against FilmOn have been suspended, pending the outcome of

the Aereo case, allowing the company to continue live TV streaming

around the world, including BBC and ITV channels in Europe.

For the moment, FilmOn carries on regardless. The free streaming service

is used by thousands of expats following the loss

of BBC and ITV in February this year.

I read about this some time back and noted that there are now two 'different' Filmon's. One is American and based in Beverly Hills and the other is International and based in Wardour Street, London, the latter being a UK Plc. If you use Filmon then the amount of US channels used to be massive but is now down to three channels one being their own.

My personal attitude to Filmon is not to buy an upgrade from them and to put up with the adverts and SD on the basis that I think the UK broadcasters will catch up with them in due course and they will have to pull the plug and I would fear for my subscription still be taken even though I had no access.

'Watch TV Now' is a UK based company that offers the same and more for live TV and there have been several attempts to close it down. They get round this by constantly adding the known IP addresses of VPN's etc used externally by people trying to beat the system and watch outside the UK claiming their services are only for the UK (the channels are marketed as such).

I also read sometime back that the BBC are trialing a system that requires you to enter your TV Licence number to use IPlayer. YOu only have to do it once per year apparently. That said the pay to watch BBC Iplayer died a death because it was cheaper than buying a licence and it put peoples noses out of join in the UK.