• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well according to a few bits I have read it can be used for P2P, as a bridge and as an access point. It can also be used P2P and an access point at the same time over two channels. It can run software as it contains 32mb of memory to run the software in and there are several suppliers of software for them. What we need to find out is if any of this software can be used to create a hotspot. It does have security in as you need to enter the same 'key' as your router when you set it up to allow users to connect via it to the internet when used as an extender/access point. What it does not allow (on its own as far as I can see) is for you to create multiple accounts each with its own key.

I got the impression you only need the thing attached to the network to set it up after which it operates as a wireless repeater. However it does require power which is done using it's power supply and power over ethernet adapter. It would be interesting if Johny took the cable out of the computer side of the power supply because it shows on one of the YouTube films that it is only needed to set it up.

It seems pretty obvious that any activity which takes place via a device which is simply leeching from an existing router, be it by cable or WiFi, will be attributable to that router and therefore the responsibility of the account holder.

No amount of device security or local A/C creation can negate that.

Typically such devices will operate in a stand alone mode and only require an ethernet connection for initial configuration however in this case it seems to be POE capable which is how Johnny is using it.

As I said the unit Johny has bought includes memory in which programs can be instaled including 'hot spot' software. I have not read through it all but try Googling "hot spot software for picostation m2", there is even a video to show you how to do it (which I have not watched). A winter project I think to find out more and possibly buy one and set it up. As you say many repeaters, like the one I bought, don't have memory and simply extend the existing WiFi network. Mine did not even have to be hardwire connected to setup either although as you say many do.

Finally finished running the cable and tried to unplug the cable as asked but lost the signal,but that's not to say that you can configure it to work without but that's above me so will stick with what I have got.Strange thing is today the anglers have now got a full signal but cannot connect to the internet but they could yesterday,something else to try and sort out.

[quote user="johnycarper"]Finally finished running the cable and tried to unplug the cable as asked but lost the signal,but that's not to say that you can configure it to work without but that's above me so will stick with what I have got.Strange thing is today the anglers have now got a full signal but cannot connect to the internet but they could yesterday,something else to try and sort out.[/quote]

Thanks for trying that, it makes sense now.

If it worked before and your using a new cable it might be the cable. Go back to how you had it working before (same cables etc) to verify if the new cable is at fault. There is also a question as to how long the new cable is, it can't be garanteed to work over 100m. (Cat 5e and 6) although it often does.