Windows 8 update problem

I have had problems installing updates from Microsoft. The updates download OK but will not install and the 'puter hangs for ages "reverting". Anyone else had this problem? Masses of stuff on Google about it but I have been unable to resolve and tried everything I can think of.

Well I'm not exactly a beginner but this one has got me going! I have tried most of the suggestions on the net without success, even to the point of re-installing windows 8 (works for the first 10 updates then failed). Might give Microsnot a ring and see if they can help.

Two things come to mind.

Firstly look in Control Panel - Windows Update - View Update History. You should be able to see which one failed and it should have a number preceded by two letters (normally KB) followed by seven numbers for example KB1234567. If it is there can you give me the number and I will have a look in Technet. Secondly it would be interesting if you both do it to see if it is the same.

How many do you want I've got about 90 of them?

As I said I'm not exactly beginner, been at it for a few years but this one seems to have a lot of people searching for answers. Microsoft has several help pages devoted to the problem, none of which are of any help, and the tech forum(s) are full of it.

Have a search in Google for "failure configuring windows updates reverting changes" to get an idea of the scale of the problem.

It could be the update to Windows 8.1. If you look through the list has the update KB2919355 failed?

If it has failed you might find the following link helpful.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/update-from-windows-8-tutorial

After April 2014 all Windows '8' updates are for 8.1 only which may be th reason they failed. Some of the updates to the core of Windows 8 will of course work because they are the same but many may not.

If you want to manually download and install it the following is one of many sources that tell you how.

You need to ensure that KB2919442 is installed before attempting this as mentioned in the link to the KB2919355 download page.

Hope that helps.

Just to add that we have one Windows 8.1 laptop (HP) and I have many friends who have 8.1 and they don't have this problem. Of course it exists, I did your search, and usually it is down to some update being required before the rest of the updates can be installed.

Sorted.

Anyone that has the same problem download wsusoffline from the above link, let it do it's business and save the iso file. I just used Winmount to make it runable. Run the exe file in the saved iso and it checkes all updates and installs them. No more nasty messages. I also disabled virus checker and firewall but not sure if thet is required.

It seems there was a problem with updates 2871690, 2964736 and 3000061, the last one cropped up a couple of times. All those files were black listed and removed from the microsoft updates.

[quote user="Spyder"]Sorted.

I also disabled virus checker and firewall but not sure if thet is required.

[/quote]

According MS yes it is.

I take it this is more of an update rather than the original operating system tht came with the PC. OEM versions of Windows 8 Pro are available for £55 on Amazon which are fully upgradable to 8.1 without problems. It says so threfore any poblems you can get your money back.

Unless Mint has gone down the same route as you I doubt he/she has the same problem, theirs will be different. With Windows there can be found many different variants of the same version of operating system. I personally go for full product OEM versions and never have a problem.

[quote user="Quillan"]

[quote user="Spyder"]Sorted.

I also disabled virus checker and firewall but not sure if that is required.

[/quote]

According MS yes it is.

[/quote]

Really? Are you saying you switch off Windows firewall and Defender every time you do an update? I thought the whole point of automatic updates was that the software does it without any input from the user.

According to the data sheet for the 8.0 to 8.1 update and possible issues i.e. it not running correctly they recommend you turn off any AV and Adware etc software you have running. If you're using a router then your firewall software does very little unless you have other computers connected to your network. Your router contains a firewall and a DMZ to protect your network from the Internet.

Personally I allow updates to be downloaded but I get to choose which ones I install. 99% of the time I install all of them but sometimes not, especially with third party software which may not run with a new version of say a particular dll. Not all updates are to do with protecting your computer. In business with medium to large networks all updates are downloaded by the servers, tested on a test network before being rolled out across the live network.