We use Orange.  Pay (via cash machine)  100 euros once a year and get 150 euros credit for it. It does not disappear even at the one year anniversary so long as you top up before the anniversary date of buying the credit.  I have a red note in our diary so that it does not get forgotten.We rarely use ours except when away on holiday but like to have one in case of emergencies.

I had not realised that one could use PAYG with an iphone although I am not sure why I thought that.

I have used these for years     http://www.lycamobile.fr/en/

They have never cut me off . I checked my account after seeing your post .. I have not made a call since last October and  my money is still there

and shows an expiry date of  08/07.2024 .. You can talk to them ...you don't have to do everything on line but you may find customer service are busy and you do  not get connected instantly .

I don't make a lot of calls on my phone although I do receive a few (my home phone redirects when I am out). I found that with PAYG there is this thing about it running out, me forgetting and then losing the number. I changed to a cheap monthly payment, I use SFR RED and pay 4,99 per month that gives me 2 hours of free calls (after which I pay normal rate), SMS and a little data which I don't use that much if at all. There are cheaper deals around but I am happy with what I have. They have other tariffs like for 11,99 per month you get totally free calls and if you have family in the UK then there is free calls to landlines there with no limit.

http://www.sfr.fr/forfait-mobile/offres/forfait-sans-engagement#sfrintid=B_mob_boutmob_decouv-forfait-red

Free also do an offer for €2 per month but perhaps it depends where you live as many where I live find it unusable due to lack of or poor coverage.

[quote user="Frederick"]I have used these for years     http://www.lycamobile.fr/en/

They have never cut me off . I checked my account after seeing your post .. I have not made a call since last October and  my money is still there

and shows an expiry date of  08/07.2024 .. You can talk to them ...you don't have to do everything on line but you may find customer service are busy and you do  not get connected instantly .

[/quote]

I use togglemobile who use the lycamobile network and have had a similar experience to Frederick. Toggle is 3p/min to most landlines and mobiles that I need to contact (with the exception of French mobiles). If you want to you can have a French mobile number and an English mobile number and toggle between them.

Do Orange customers also have problems where you live Quillan?

I ask because in all but the main agglomérations where Free have their own antenae they use the Orange network, it did go down on me for an hour or so last week, Orange that is not Free but otherwise it has always been fine, at my pals farm reception is crap with all the providers, all the conversations sound the same "Allo!, tu m'entends? tu m'entends?"

Before Free, which is free of charge for me as an ADSL abonnée I was at the mercy of several PAYG operators who  all stole my credit even when it was supposed to be illimité and cancelled the numbers, not good now that I am running a business.

Editted; I had chosen Lycamobile and had recieved their sim card when free announced the €2 or free forfait so I never got to use it, its good to see that so far they have stuck to their promise, its been a few years now.

Dont like the sound of putting on €100 cerit every year even with the €150 added, by now I would have a grand of unused credit for them to steal, with Free I have only gone over the forfait a couple of times by a couple of cts, usually there are no chargeable calls, when there have been for instance phoning France from the UK the rates have been remarkably reasonable.

[quote user="Chancer"]

Do Orange customers also have problems where you live Quillan?

I ask because in all but the main agglomérations where Free have their own antenae they use the Orange network, it did go down on me for an hour or so last week, Orange that is not Free but otherwise it has always been fine, at my pals farm reception is crap with all the providers, all the conversations sound the same "Allo!, tu m'entends? tu m'entends?"

[/quote]

Yes it is and thats the problem in France that not every service is the same. I would have prefered to have my phone bundled with my ISP (Orange) because they have an English speaking helpline and it makes sense to pay just one bill. Unfortunatly SFR are the best round here and for a fiver per month seems reasonable to me for a phone that has never let me down wherever I am in France or Spain. I mean 60 Euros per year is not bad.