This morning when I fired up my email I got not 1 but 2 emails from a very nice bank manager in Nigeria to say that he has lots of money to give me if I will just send my ATM card and PIN to him for confirmation.

I haven't had one of these for ages :-)))

I also got a txt and alert at 2 this morning with a message in French to call a certain number.

Obviously a scam  (the number was in the Ivory Coast) but the thing is I have call blocking on my phone at night so I should only get alerted if the sending number is in my phonebook.  How did they do this?

I dont know but I have had my email junk filter set very tightly and havent had anything for months, but the last two weeks I am getting one every couple of days, the usual "your payment bounced, click here and confirm your details to prevent your account being suspended...." type of thing from various people from EDF to phone companies.

I assume they are getting smarter / more persistant.

It's very rare that I get anything like that to be honest but last week I had an e-mail, supposedly from HMRC, informing me that I was due a tax rebate.

Total rubbish of course.

As for the chaps from Nigeria. I was once a bodyguard for a businessman who, along with three friends, got mixed up with that lot.

They all lost an awful lot of money, one had a Chinese Triad chasing him for money he borrowed and my chap lost his business as well.

I did try to warn him but they all had Dollar signs in their eyes.

Some folk are simply greedy or plain stupid.

I assume that you sent the requested details Pierre and have received all the money he promised? After all, the nice man can only be truely honest as he is a bank manager. He probably rode all the way up the Severn on his bike so he could contact you[:-))]

I suppose that some must fall for these kind of things or they wouldn't keep on trying?

Better than that, I send my gold Amex card and PIN so he can load it up with all the lovely loot.

Before this, I didn't even know I had relatives in Africa, let alone one who would leave me an inheritance [:-))]  I wonder if I have any more?

I think I worked out why I got a text in the middle of the night.  I upgraded my phone to Marshmallow and it seems to have reset some of the settings.  Easily put right now.