A short circuit, most probably you have the outer screen/braid touching the inner conductor on the screw on joint that you have disturbed or remade.

Disconnect it at each end and check the resistance between the conductor and the metal outer of either connector, it should have an infinitely high resistance or several tens of thousands of ohms, it should not beep on a continuity test.

If its not that then its the LNB but my money is on a short in the cable, was it working before?

Thanks, guys, I was careful to disconnect the current when fiddling with the cable. And no signs of a short, I have checked as it did seem a real possibility.

The box is now working but I am getting no signal despite swinging the dish a number of times. I have checked the cable and it is ok.

The box is an Optex ORD 9540 HD which I used in the Vendee, no problems and which now lights up, at least.

The head is a brand new Inverto. When I attach the meter to it, I get loadsa noise when a satellite is detected but the box detects no signal.

So, maybe I am on the wrong satellite or something.

I will try again tomorrow as the local motor rallye races by!