New Laws Blocking unwanted calls

I have read that under new laws, you can now block unwanted calls.

As I read it, under the law, ALL companies have to check that you haven't registered your number on

http://www.bloctel.gouv.fr

and if you have, they cannot call it.

Anyone else heard of this/read it, and can confirm?

Well broadly what you have said is true, but that was always the case with the predecessor called Pactel.

Now as for "they cannot call you" is one aving a larf? [:D]

All the agressive telemarketers used the pactel list as a list of hot prospects, I hardly ever got cold calls until I registered with them and then they went ballistic ending up with at least 10 per day, and guess what Pacitel had no way of enforcing the "cannot call" rule, no fines no powers, the new lot can fine but admit that they can only dream of stopping up to 30% of the calls.

Since Pactel was withdrawn at the end of last year my cold calls have declined from upwards of 10 a day to maybe 2 a week, the level it was before I registered, I wont make that mistake again.

All of these things have but one goal, to employ the maximum of fonctionnaires.

dont get me started on the wastage of people like the TPN electricity tariff foncs.

Now I come to think of it, Chancer, I have not had one sales call during this week I have been a-gardenin' in the Vendée.

Usually I get two or three a day, and it drives me mad when I have dashed indoors in case it's something important.

Maybe, as you suggest, it's the demise of Pactel!

Angela

I have not had one sales call during this week I have been a-gardenin' in the Vendée.

Pacitel ceased operations on Jan 1st.  Maybe your good fortune has been prompted by someother event.

regards

cajal

Its been gradually winding down since January, the volume of cold and scam calls that is, I think that Angela has returned after a longish break and hence notices the difference, I also noticed it after close to a month away, one doesnt tend to notice a gradual increase or decline except when you remove yourself from the situation for a while.

I was always convinced that Pacitel were responsible for my cold calls, they went from nothing to a huge volume since signing up with them, in the last couple of years since I have had 2 websites containing my phone number I thought that many might be coming from that but since the demies of Pacitel I now know different and am all the more convinced.

However since about the same time I have been getting a rash of spam e-mails several times a day, all in French all claiming to be household names like Lidl, Geant, Intermarché, EDF etc etc saying I have a carte cadeau, un bon d'achat, a remboursement etc, they always come from a web address that is two random English words joined together like pinchtable.com or spannerteatowel.com.

Cant blame that on Pacitel

I spoke too soon, I had 4 cold callers today [:(] managed to Wind them all up though [:D]

This is my paranoia really kicking in, could it be that now Bloctel is up and running they are making the old Pacitel list available to the telemarketeers until they get enough people on their list?

I have just put our number back on the Liste Rouge for the 3rd time yesterday. And there were I thinkin it were permanent [:-))]

I have a tendancy to ask who is calling and if it's a cold cll I then put on my best English voice and ask why they can't speak the official EU language? They normally go away toot-sweet..

I do speak

I have just put our number back on the Liste Rouge for the 3rd time yesterday. And there were I thinkin it were permanent [:-))]

I have a tendancy to ask who is calling and if it's a cold cll I then put on my best English voice and ask why they can't speak the official EU language? They normally go away toot-sweet..

I do speak francias by the way. Not very well, but I am trying (go on John, feed them the dig [8-)])

Its not as if I didnt get cold calls in the UK, rarely on the home line although I'm told that it is now a real problem but on my business line as soon as I was in the Yellow pages I was besieged with them.

For their part they were quite used to getting through to fed up and awkward people like myself that gave them the run around or had fun with them and were very used to dealing with it, it takes some persistance to call a company and get through to "the person responsable for" when they have someone as obtuse as me who has picked up the phone.

What amazes me about 100% of the french cold callers is that they are totally, and I mean totally flummoxed when having started always with the same words (typical French brainwashed compliance) "Monsieur Chancer?" or more usually "Mme Chancer?" and I reply "Qui veut savoir" all they can say is "comment?" after several répétitions of this dialogue I shout it out very slowly "Q U I  V E U T  S A V O I R?" at which point they hang up, I alternate the replies with "Qui êtes vous?" and sometimes even "peut-être" and it always has the same effect, not one has got past the first hurdle.

It tells me that 100% of French people when disturbed by a cold caller are completely compliant and will answer every question posed to them, this is borne out by what I have seen when in their houses, sometimes I even cut off the caller for them when they cannot terminate the call.