One for Chris pp

Nope, don't know anything about that, the only recent event that I know of that was of interest was that one of the bears had lost or removed its collar back in September.

Earlier in the year, one of the bears from the existing population farther south went on a bit of a walk about, maybe it was that.

Where did you get this info from?

Chris

Sorry, I missed your post yesterday, Twinks,  just this moment had a look at the article(s), it is the one that lost its tracking collar, but it doesn't seem to be causing to much concern for the people tracking it, its just taking advantage of the food available, chestnuts and so on, a bit like lots of people at this time of year.

To be honest, I think that a sanglier could be more danger to people and they are everywhere.

Interesting though, thanks posting it, Chris

This is cosy, Twinks, no one else wants to join in. I can't see that there's much anyone can do about those types of situations, one has already died earlier this year after falling down a step cliff, it's just the way of the world, accidents happen, but at least they have a greater level of protection these days from the French State, I think that Nelly Olins has pinned her credentials with the environmental movement in France on this one, she seems to be taking a close interest.

I'm waiting for them to breed, that would be nice.

Chris

How long would it take normally for bears to start breeding?

About as soon as they can get it together.

Here's the serious bit, it's quite interesting in a way, but then I'm fascinated with sexual reproduction. Sexual maturity is reached at around 5 years, the rut takes place from May to July, but gestation is complicated as there is a "delay" and doesn't actually start until after about 5 or 6 months and then the gestation proper lasts 2 months, the young being born in Jan / Feb.

I've started, so I'll carry on.... the young are born hairless, or nearly hairless and remain in the place that the mother has prepared for them, they then stay there with their mother for around 4 months, after this they wander around with her for 18 months to 3 or 4 years, then it's of into the world to wander on their own, apart of course, from those brief moments when it's time for them to breed

Chris, anyone still awake?

[quote user="chris pp"]

Barry White? Do me a favour, and the bears, you want to turn them of? Sorry if you like him, he's dead isn't he?

Barry White???? Oh yeah, I remember now, We're going to get it together baby UUUUUOOOOOAAAAAHHHGGG.

Chris

[/quote]

Not just do you a favour Chris, but then again I suppose we should look after beached whales? Sorry Twinks!! But I can't stand him and when I mentioned what you said about him being the love walrus, on another thread, to my OH she just laughed... might be attractive to other walruses though?

[quote user="chris pp"]

Barry White? Do me a favour, and the bears, you want to turn them of? Sorry if you like him, he's dead isn't he?

Barry White???? Oh yeah, I remember now, We're going to get it together baby UUUUUOOOOOAAAAAHHHGGG.

Chris

[/quote]

See Twinks, I told you uou were in there.

This is another side to Chris pp we haven't seen before, nice going Chris!

I do bring out the wild animal in most men[:-))]

Jonz!

I DO NOT find Barry White attractive - I like his music and when I've had a couple of vodka caramels....Oh forget it!

I do not look like a walrus either mate!

Chris!

Are there any special ceremonies bears perform to attract their mate?