Trésor the dalmatian - an update

Happy New Year everyone - just thought I would let you know that Trésor (now Trevor) is finally at home with us and beginning his new life.  We collected him from the refuge this weekend, a little later than expected as I have had the flu and was not well enough to make the 800 km round trip to get him.

Sure you will all be pleased to know that he is setttling quickly, gets on well with Kiri (our other dalmatian) and is ignoring Albi the cockatiel.  He is gentle and loving and fairly obedient, but a bit confused as I don't think he has ever been inside a house and he can't really believe that food, beds etc are for HIM.  He is a pure bred dalmatian but is tiny and terribly thin - only weighs 18 kg - Kiri reckons he is some large toy we have found for her.   She was horrified when she met him because he stank, but now he is bathed and beautiful she is using him as a, rather bony, pillow!! He had been attacked by other dogs prior to Christine putting out the appeal for him so still has a few war wounds. He has now been castrated and tomorrow he's off to the vet to get his passport under way so that he can always travel with us.

I'd like to thank Christine for all the effort she put into finding a home for him and also Arlette and Eliana at the Vaucluse refuge who took care of him and did everything to prevent him being put to sleep.  He has been in the refuge for a year and despite his loving ways no one had ever wanted him because he was not a 'good specimen'.

The refuge has over 300 dogs needing homes - sadly only the very small and puppies are wanted and many of the older and larger dogs stand no chance of getting a home.  The staff there are doing their best against terrific odds but most of the dogs are chained up as there is no kennel space.  Outside in the winter they lose weight and hope.  If anyone from that area is thinking of getting a dog please go and look and see if you could find a space for one of these poor dogs.

I'm going to take some photos of Trevor and will try and post them so you can see how he is doing.

Maggi

Thank you for all the news Maggi, which I just also received by email.  But mostly thank you for going so far yesterday to get Trésor/Trevor.  Eliana who I have been in contact with about him is so pleased, she has been so devoted to rescuing this dog.  She is a wonderful person and has become my virtual friend.  She and her daughter do tremendous work to save the dogs of this refuge.  She is from Brazil and her husband is French, Arlette is Swiss, so this has been quite an international rescue!

Glad to hear things are starting off well with Trevor, he does look such a sweet dog, and I wish you many years of happiness together.  Thanks again Maggi and look forward to seeing the photos.   [kiss]

As Maggi says, it would be wonderful if anyone could offer a home to one of the dogs from this refuge.  I already did a thread about them and there is link on it with some of the most urgent cases :

They Need Help in the Vaucluse

Well done, Maggi.........it is great that Trevor has settled in so quickly, I'm sure he will repay you a thousand fold for the wonderful new life you have given him, even if he doesn't forgive you for calling him Trevor!! (no offence to any Trevors out there!!!), mind you, I can't talk, one of our rescue dogs is called Frank!!!

Chris

Its all down to training , one you clip around the ear , the other you take out side and praise when he performs [:D] I'll leave you to work out which way round. Mines so highly trained now that when he walks in the door with a hammer I just give him my evil eye and his tail goes down and he slinks back to the shed. The other just sits on the sofa smiling at me