Nelson, Great Dane, Niort

Nelson was found, very, very thin on December 13th.  His owner is not in a position to take him back so he needs to find a new home as soon as possible.  He is only two years old.  When I saw him there a few weeks ago he seemed a gentle, quiet dog.  Well fed and cared for, apart from being an exceptional companion, he could add a touch of class to any household.

Niort Refuge

I have only ever had one castrated male Dane and he was always sweet and gently natured an did not really change at all when I had him neutered. 

[IMG]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h15/miggimeggi/File0011-1.jpg[/IMG]

Ooooold pic of Seiggi, my neutered male.

Personally, I have always found females to be more affectionate and (sorry guys) more intelligent although on the grounds that an only dog is lonely I have always had at least one of each.

Pity your wife doesn't want any male dogs Afy.  I would recommend that you do not get another female dog, of any breed.  Two males tend to fight (if they fight) to the point of one becoming submissive.  Two females (if they fight) will fight to the death.  One of each is the ideal combination and Nelson looks and seems to be such a sweetie and he is in such need.

If that's you on the photo Anne, and it must be, I can't believe it, that's exactly how I imagined you.  Tall, short greyish hair, strong well boned, very attractive features.  A woman of willpower, it's incredible, I knew you were just like that!  (Now, you are probably going to tell me it's not you!).

Seiggi was a size wasn't he.  Beautiful.  I agree that an only dog is often lonely, as much affection as they may get, they still need their doggy life shared with another or other dogs.

The only time we have any trouble between the dogs is with those who have not been neutered.  Otherwise they mostly all get along fine.  They do not know what has been done and are far happier for it instead of fretting after a bitch on heat.  The number of males who end up run over or in fourrières when they have not been done is enough to prove that they are far happier and healthier when they have been.  Also, it does not stop some of the castrated males having sexual activities, but without the consequences.

When we recently had little Cachou, the poodle, done, one side was cancerous (another risk), so it was lucky we had him done.

Love that photo anne.   [:)]

Yup, that's me but taken about 10 years ago.  Seiggi was indeed huge probably the biggest  and certainly the most loving of our males.  He came to us just before the first all inclusive elections in South Africa.  A woman brought him to our door,  she had heard that we had Danes and they were leaving the country the next day so would we give him a home.  For Seiggi she said, it was us or straight off to the vets.  We never regretted it for a day, he was a wonderful friend.

I do agree about neutering, well, sort of.  Because I used to show and then, you couldn't show a neutered animal so, for instance, I have not had Scalli castrated although of course, Utopie has been spayed.  Another problem which spaying prevents in bitches is pyometra, which can be a killer.

I just e-mailled RescueDogue with some pics of Utopie.  Tomorrow is our first anniversary of the day we collected her.[:D][:D][:D]

Really, it's already a year.  Happy Birthday !

Also, bitches who have been spayed young hardly get mammary tumours.  I don't think, now we have the years behind us to judge, that any we have done young have had tumours.  But so many of them who have not been spayed get them, they have to go all through the operations and it costs a fortune.

Anne, what a wonderful photo! Seiggi is such a handsome big boy not to mention the beautiful lady he is sitting on [:)].

I have always had male pets (neutered of course), I have always preferred neutered males to females but in the future would like to have some of both (I do hope my husband won't read this [Www]).

It sounds as if it may not be the right decision for Afy and his wife to adopt Nelson but I do hope someone adopts him soon because he looks such a lovely sad gentle giant [:(]. The photo of Seiggi, really shows how big and lovable these dogs are.

Unfortunately I was unable to go this afternoon.  I hope to go on Monday.

But when I called to let Niort know, they said that the owner may finally be able to take him back in February.  This is to be confirmed shortly, so for the moment we have to put a hold on an adoption.  The people who went this aftrnoon for Ingo the Labrador said Nelson didn't look too bad.

[IMG]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/lavande/Nelson1.jpg[/IMG]

This is what Nelson looked like yesterday, still terribly thin, but quite alert and wagging his tail.

A family of animal lovers in Charente Maritime offered to adopt him if he was all right with their children, other dogs and cats.  But we still have to wait to see if his owner finally takes him back.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally the owner is not taking Nelson back !  But after an ad I put on a site, he got on to a Great Dane site where they have been very concerned about him and someone from the 37 has been to get him and given him a new home.  At last poor Nelson is free !   [:)]