Animal shelters here in France

We would love to get a pet dog for the family next year and, as we have two bairns aged 3 and five, think a puppy would be the way to go. I'd love to give a homeless dog a second chance but wonder what conditions are like at the local pounds and how well cared for these animals are. Are they micro-chipped, vaccinated and de-sexed before sold?. The trip to the pound won't be distressing...will it?. How well do the French care for homeless dogs in their animal shelters?.

They'll be all right if they park correctly Wooly!

What a lot of questions!  First of all the animals are not sold.  They are all identified before adoption, that is the law, they are also vaccinated and sometimes neutered, all of ours are neutered.

The way they have been cared for obviously depends on which shelter they come from, most care for them as well as they can.  Any trip to a pound is distressing, but if you wish to rescue a pet, you have to try to get over it.

Ikkle buggar has turned my lawn into a moonscape yet sleeps on my knees like a kitten. No, he is a lovely little lad. And I am very very pleased to have him. He still far*s though but not so badly since I changed his food and fitted a cork. Good job Christine. By the way, I may have found a home for the Llama...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

Go for it Jura, I too have a young son and therefore felt happier to adopt a young dog not least because they can grow up together, she is beautiful and has fitted in really well, I will definitely do the same again in the future!  Here they are together, in love already after just two months

[IMG]http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc149/ahoward99/PeterandPolly.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks Frenchie, they are both so dear to me me and I had a new camera for my birthday (last week), it's very flash but as it's the first one I've ever owned I just click at everything, just downloaded 104 pics of my son and the dogs, bit OTT n'est pas!