Jack Russell needs new home

Hello everyone,

My husband and I only left England about 3 months ago, we have yet to settle anywhere. We are in a desperate situation.

We have two lovely male Jack Russell's. After two years together they began to fight. We tried all manner of fixes, to no avail. After the last 2 fights which resulted in bad injuries, we had to accept that they required separating. We can't explain how heart broken we are. We are miserable, and now the dogs are miserable. Hubby and I are living in separate places to keep them apart. I am pregnant and have been told I'm suffering from stress. Locals have suggested putting one down, which I could never do. However, we can't go on like this and have given ourselves until the end of next week. Either we find a loving new owner, or we take one to a shelter. Only a new owner would ease my aching heart. But I have to think of my health so something will be done.

The more 'problem' dog has had a fear of other dogs since he was a puppy. This fear turned into "I'll bark first before you get to me" aggression. So he can't be walked or owned with another dog. But this issue aside, he is an absolute darling. He is very protective of family and home so makes an excellent little guard dog. He is full of beans and loves to play with balls, especially tennis balls and footballs. A young boy who loves to kick a ball around would love him. He is very obedient and house trained - no chewing of anything. He dislikes being in your bad books and looks for immediate forgiveness if you're cross for any reason. He needs a garden to run and play out his energy. When tired, he loves his belly rubbed and a blanket near his pack/family. He dislikes being apart from you, but as he is a very accepting and adaptable little mite, I believe he can learn to be left alone for short periods. He's fine with children but usually too boisterous, so best suited to older kids.

He is 2 years old, neutured, fully vaccinated, rabies booster due in 2009, microchipped. He is a tricolor (mostly dark brown and white) short-haired, long legged JR. He's cute as a button. Unfortunately, as we're not settled, I'm unsure how to get a photo up. He's a bit similar to this but with short hair: http://www.jack-russell-terrier.co.uk/reunited/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=55 , very similar to these but older, http://www.jack-russell-terrier.co.uk/reunited/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=67 , http://www.jack-russell-terrier.co.uk/reunited/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=164 although he's retained a puppy-like face.

My husband is willing to drive almost anywhere to the right family, although the south of France would be the most ideal for us all. We love our little boy, he is a sweetheart, I know someone out there can love him too.

Thanks.

It's so depressing. I've sent emails/posts all over the place. Every day I look into his eyes and think, 'what a little sweetheart you are'. He deserves to be loved. I'm completely heartbroken to be facing taking him to a shelter.

We don't have the resources at the moment to get a photo onto the computer.

They're both neutured. We've tried everything, even a behavourist. Dislikes most other animals. I think he could become accustomed to another dog. But the other dog would need to be larger and put him him in his place. Also, it would take a very patient and compassionate person to try this - and it may not work.

• 1 month later...
Yes, that's him, Alan. He's really good with any dog - more than 45yrs experience with even the most vicious - not that this one is, just saying. Have a read of his articles - he did a few on our dog Rio, a Basque Sheepdog with the problems we had, and also some of my own are on the site about our move to France from Spain with Rio when I took over his newspaper page for several weeks. IF the owner follows his advice you can train the dog out of almost anything! You can email or phone for FREE advice or go and see him in Benitachell, Spain - have a holiday at the same time! http://www.dogbehaviouradvice.com

• 4 weeks later...
Very sad news ... Alan Newman-Moore died suddenly in January. My dog has lost his favourite uncle and we are all so sad... the website http://www.dogbehaviouradvice.com is still running, but I don't know how long for. The world has lost someone of great value to us all. He used to train the most difficult and aggressive abandoned dogs so they could be re-homed, as well as running obedience and agility classes and dog-handling. His own 2 dogs Winston and Sunny are looking for new homes now. [:(]  [:(]  [:(]

he has a daughter at university in England and an ex wife working in Tenerife who we met up with over there recently... but other than them, I don't think so. Every time my dog does something funny Alan loved to know about it and he said all the time to me "send MY dog back to Spain! He no speaka the French!" [:D] I shall think of him always. A couple of weeks ago, Rio came back with some unwanted dead ducks from a nearby farm for us - 3 in about 3 minutes and I know Alan would have been amused by this. Rio used to guard things like that but thanks to Alan's training he now drops them at my feet for me to pick up! I was considering being trained by Alan myself to continue his work here but time ran out...