moveing cats

Hi have five half grown cats 'outside ones 'i know after all the warnings i have been told i was silly enough to feed a stray cat result the five kittens .they are only half wild and will let me stroke them and two i can pick up .I have managed to get them to the vet when they were younger to get them doctered and have had the mother cat done as well 'problem is for personal reasons i have to move from the house i am in now to another 'this also has a large garden i want to take the cats with me as they relie on me for shelter 'only a shed but its home to them 'my french friend says leave them as they can catch food [which they do ]and fend for themselves 'but as an animal lover i cannot do this .Any suggestions as to moveing them and if i contain them for a week do you think they will stay .Icannot havethem in the house allthough i think two of them would come in as i have the added problem of my own old cat who is blind and diabetic .Any advice would be appreciated as long as the secand word is not idiot .

Hi Magik

I think you've already made your mind up!

They would most likely be ok if you left them but, as an animal lover and owner of cats (although not any feral ones), I think I would be of the same mind as you and take the cats with you. Keeping them in for a week should do the trick as they will then know where to come back to to get food and shelter. At least then you will have done your best for them. I don't envy you moving the 5 half-feral cats though and I wish you luck with it all, whatever you decide.

Anna

Hi

I took on a friends two semi feral cats and we had to move them about 40 miles.  I kept them in the garage for about a 10 days getting to know them and then one evening I put down food as normal but left the door open.  When I came out the next day I thought they might have fled in the night but there they were waiting for their breakfast.   They have been very happy since and have the run of the neighbourhood.

Good luck in what you decide to do.

Hello Magik,

I think you have done a fantastic job in taking on the stray & her kittens and having them neutered. I'm sure that as creatures of opportunty, once you have moved them, and kept them confined for a week, feeding them, they'll respond to that supply of food, and stick around.

How are you going to trap the wilder ones to move them?   Do you have enough cages?

Thank you for your comments 'i was worried they might not stay in new area but after your expereances think they may .I will not get them near a cage after the vet fiasco 'so have devised a box which fits in back of the car and will get them used to being fed in there and then drop the front grill down 'may take 2 trips if i am lucky ??.or you may see a woman in a car with demented  cats wizzing round  her !!