Advice please

I have some neighbours with a very small roof terrace.  When I moved in I noticed that they were keeping two labradors up there.  They didn't clean the terrace at all.  One of the dogs died of some sort of hemorrhage.  He was about 2 years old.  Several weeks later, when the neighbours were away I heard truly dreadful noises coming from the terrace.  I fetched a long ladder and found the poor, terrified little female in a terrible state.  She had no water or food (no bowls either), no bed or shade (and it was the middle of a Languedoc summer), the whole terrace  was deep in dog mess.  I did what I could, got bowls, water, food, bought her a bed at the local Jardiland and created a bit of shade for her.  There was no way I could carry her off the roof via the ladder and the house was locked up.  I took care of her until the owners returned and then went to see them about this terrible thing they had done.  Being unwilling to fight with my neighbours I accepted their assurances that it would never happen again.  The next day the poor dog disappeared, I hoped fervently that they had given her to a better home but had no confidence in the truth of that.  I have not spoken to them or acknowledged them since that day and am deeply ashamed that I did not do more to protect those poor dogs.  Yesterday, I saw that monstrous pair trotting around with a puppy.  I have heard a puppy barking on the roof terrace.  What should I do?  If I see that this dog is suffering the same fate can I get advice or help from any French organisations?  Would the Mayor be in a position to help?  Any advice would be very much appreciated I am determined that this little dog will not suffer as the other two did.  Many thanks!

Oh, that is SO awful! I had a similar situation here, where eventually I persuaded the owners to let me take their old dog to the vet for the last time, she was so ill with weeping tumours.

You must be feeling dreadful.

Perhaps if you can say where you are (or nearest town if you don't want to be specific) it would help to pinpoint assistance, the 'Languedoc' is a big place.

Mayor: depends on how willing he/she is to intercede. Gendarmes deal with true cruelty btw - which is what happened the last time, you could have called them but there's no guarantee the dog would have gone anywhere other than the nearest SPA and then....