compris de vente - power of attorney

My first post here as I can't find an answer to my query (I'm not great at message boards!)
I'd like to know if it's possible for the compris de vente to be signed on our behalf.
We've made an offer on a property but will not know if it's been accepted for apx 10 days. 4 days after that, we're off on holiday (not to France) and will be out of touch. Will we be able to (a) make first contact with a notary (we have the email address of an English speaking French notary in the area we're buying) and (b) setup all the necessary formalities of power of attorney in that time?
The people we're buying from want assurances that selling to us won't delay the legal processes and unless we can provide some assurance/guarantees they have another offer which they're more likely to accept.
Hope to hear....
PS - Great site here

You already have the property in mind? Go to the Notaire listing the property and do the compris through him/her. You can sign through the Notaire. (You can even have the Notaire sign the Acte for you as well) You don't need your own Notaire as notaires are employed by the state they don't represent either buyer or seller.
Of course if you want to have your own Notaire, you are entirely in your right to instruct one. The two Notaires will split the fee charged.

Kind regards
Belinda

Yes it is possible , we did just that , but used an agent to be our power of attorny she was working in conjunction with the notaire , and also on our behalf , if you don`t have an agent , contact the notaire and ask.

Regards,
Jude

Hi

I recently wrote about this in my newsletter, see below.

Regards

Craig McGinty
http://www.thisfrenchlife.com

GIVING POWER OF ATTORNEY

SIGNING the final deed, or Acte de Vente, takes place in the notaire's office and often both the buyer and seller are present.

However, it may not be convenient for the purchaser to be present, especially if they live abroad or the date of the signing has been changed at the last minute.

This is particularly frustrating if you have booked flights or ferry tickets.

The answer to these problems is the granting of power of attorney to a responsible person to act on your behalf.

Known in French as a 'procuration' this document grants the person appointed to undertake the actions authorized on behalf of the person granting the power.

It is clear that this is a very powerful and potentially disastrous legal procedure so advice and time should be taken before granting power of attorney to a person.

The notaire handling the sale of the property will be able to draw up the document and outline the various acts the attorney is able to perform.

It should also contain the full names of the attorney and the person giving the power, details of the deed that can be signed and any other formalities that have to be completed.

For example, if the attorney needs to draw a cheque on your bank account the papers should detail this.

If you are still living in the UK then you will have to sign the document in front of a notary public who has responsibility for witnessing such things for use abroad.

It is also possible for officers of the French consulate to act as witnesses.

You should only grant a power of attorney to a person you really trust be they a member of your family or your lawyer.

If you use a lawyer should they do anything illegal or untoward they would be struck off from the profession and you would receive compensation.

Often a clerk of the notaire overseeing the sale acts as attorney, although this saves some money for the purchaser it could be risky - and some notaires refuse this option.

Remember it is your decision whom you give power of attorney to, although you may not be present at the signing it doesn't mean you have to use someone you are not completely happy with.

The process of buying and selling property can be a time consuming affair and if the worst happens and the sale is delayed, or falls through, it is possible to cancel the power of attorney.

Within the document you could clearly state that the power only lasts for a specific time period, say six months.

Alternatively you could send a letter by recorded delivery cancelling the agreement, and it ceases to be valid on the death of the person who granted it.

Should you attend the signing of the Acte de Vente it will not only be interesting but also give you a chance to check anything before the final signing.

And there is nothing stopping you setting up a power of attorney as a fallback just in case.