How to Furnish Huge Old Property?

I am looking at buying another property in France (mad or what!) which is a big 10 bedroom manor on three floors. The biggest task to allow it to be habitable in time for next spring will be furnishing it.

The easiest thing would be to raid Ikea but it would spoil the property to furnish it with modern furniture as it has lovely old features (not to mention the cost). I'm not after antiques as this would also be too expensive, but nice, good quality older furniture. We can undoubtedly pick up some stuff from brocantes, although recently in my experience most furniture at brocantes is either tat or very expensive - no happy medium. This would also take an impossible amount of time.

So, my question is, does anyone know of a way of furnishing a property like this quickly - perhaps someone who is in the trade who can source furniture and perhaps do some restoration, or more ideally someone who does house clearances? Are there any really big warehouse type operations selling this type of furniture?

Any suggestions or pointers would be really appreciated. We are in 17 (Charente Maritime) but it would be worth travelling to find the right suppliers.

Regards
FR

I would say do what most of the European antique/furniture dealers do. Hire a large truck and go to a few UK auctions. Prices are far better than you will find anywhere in France, more than offsetting the cost of the truck/ferry.

Will (50)
Forum moderator

Not too far over the Charente border into Dordogne is a place called Ali Baba's which is a big warehouse (actually barn) which is full of furniture and everything else you would need right down to teaspoons and bedlinen. Its open 7 days a week as it's located next to the owners house and they open it up if it's not already open. Prices aren't cheap but you can negociate a little, as I did, especially if you were to buy in quantity. It's sign posted from the main road between La Tour Blanche and Lisle. I'm sure you will find plenty of what you need there.

Hi,
have you had a trip to your local Emmaus? I think that they are found throughout France. When I lived in Toulouse I was addicted to the one there!! You might be able to pick up something there.
Joan

I recommend looking in shops called Depot Vente. You can often see "big furniture" which wouldnt suit smaller homes but would be grand in the place you are describing. The system is that folks bring second hand furniture to sell . The shop takes a percentage of the sale , but you get the stuff out of your home. Great system ...........some tat , but can be good for traditional bedroom furniture or large tables and chairs.

We have bought some really nice new pieces from Carrefour Meubles in Saint Jean D'Angely , traditional french construction , good quality , but reasonable prices.

We are also in (17) and love hunting down nice furniture , so please keep us posted! Chris and Carol

Your best bet will probably be Emmaus - there are warehouses at St Agnant (Rochefort), St Romain de Benet and one near Saujon. There are also Troc outlets at Rochefort and Saintes (and probably elsewhere) I suggest looking in the Pages jaunes.

John and Angie Moore (17)

There is a chain of shops that have appeared recently here called Le Negociataire. They sell new but traditional style furniture, I think it is bankrupt stock and the like. Not particularly cheap, although a lot less than the proper furniture shop outlets. but that sort of thing might help pad out what you can find on the secondhand market. Check yellow pages to see if you have one http://www.pagesjaunes.fr. There are probably other similar shops.

Liz (29)

Depot Vente shops are in most major towns for example , St Jean D'Angely , Matha ,outskirts of Royan (direction Rochefort) and we have tried the one in Saintes , N150 coming into the town from the north.

Good hunting. Carol