Decorating new build

Just got back from looking at our patch in 34. Will be on a lotissment and we are happy with it. Start in September (apparently!) and finish next April. Chosen tiles etc but have elected to decorate ourselves internally rather than pay the builders to paint. Looking at a "finished" build it looks as though the walls are left as plasterboard. Do the french normally just paint on top or hang paper? Do the french not plaster first? Anyone had any experience of this?

Thanks

Jane and Alan

Ah yes, we opted for doing it ourselves too. No, no plastering and as they weren't going to be doing the decorating the plaster board walls were not left levelled properly, aparently levelling was part of the getting decorated deal.

If they do this to you, then when you have levelled and sanded down, then you can buy paint to initially go onto the plaster board, a sort of base coat before you do anything else.

Dear Jane and Alan,

Can I suggest that you buy your paint in UK? I find it is better quality, cheaper and a better range of colours than over here. If you use paint pads, you'll need to get those in UK too, as I have never seen them over here - but doubtless someone else will know otherwise

Regards,

JudyM(14)

you are probably paying a lot of money to get your dream home built only to spoil it by doing the decorating yourself,do'nt forget the decorator does'nt just slap paint on the walls he makes good all the mistakes made by other trades and his finish is the most important as he is the last tradesman to work on your home.i have been a decorator for 24 years and it never ceases to amaze me that people will spend thousands on building or renovating a home only to spoil the finish by doing the decorating themselves to save a few grand anyway good luck to you