Rainbow Bridge/ode to a lost pet

Paulgun

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, the pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals that have been ill and old are restored to health and vigour: those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again; just as we remember them in our dreams of days gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: each misses someone very special, someone who was left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. Its bright eyes are intent; its eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly, the pet breaks from the group, flying over the green grass, faster and faster. You have been spotted and when your special friend finally meet you cling together in joyous reunion: never to be parted agin. The happy kisses rain upon your face: your hands caress the beloved head; you look once again into those trusting eyes, so long gone from your life but not from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.
Anon.
pauline.

What a wonderful but in part sad start to the day. I am putting this together looking out over the garden with here in Wales lots and lots of snow.

At the bottom of our garden is a very old apple tree and the loves of our lives are placed to rest under the tree. We have planted daffodils and the like so in the spring it just seems right and something is born again!

When I am working in that area of the garden I often stop and here I know that lots of the forum would think I have completely lost it but I talk to my pets.

It is just my way of dealing with the continuing grief I feel at the loss of some absolutely magnificient pets.

Amongst them were two brilliant basset hounds.........the breed I have loved for over 30 years.

Well done what a wonderful piece.

• 1 month later...
Hi,

For all those out there mourning a beloved pet try:

www.rainbowsbridge.com

Where you will find a whole host of poems, stories and tributes to special animals who have "passed over the bridge".

The site can be a little, um, twee at times but nevertheless was a place where I found a great many comforting words when our beloved dog died 3 weeks ago.

Penny