When is a spay not a spay?

Penny29

HI,

Those of you who follow this thread know that 6 months ago I took on an abandonned cat which JackieB found in her barn.

Jackie was considerate & responsible enough to get the cat spayed and have her (gangrenous) tail amputated before bringing her to us. The ops were arranged via the local animal sanctuary in Perigueux & carried out by a reputable vet who does a lot of work for the Animal Refuge.

Well, the spayed cat is now pregnant - when she started putting on weight we thought it was just contentment, as she got fatter we thought she was having a phantom pregnancy. Last night we could distinctly feel the movement of kittens in her stomach.

I've spoken to our own vet - he has never heard of this happening EVER before. JackieB says the cat even had stitches in the right place after the op!

The point of this post is twofold - first to warn you all that in around 7 -8 weeks time I will be begging for new homes for kittens, and secondly to ask if anyone, anywhere has ever heard of this happening before???

PENNY (who already has 6 cats and is pulling her hair out)

No, my vet did tell me that she could spay a pregnant cat thus aborting the unwanted kittens.

• 2 weeks later...
I do feel for you, having to get suitable homes for kittens is difficult at the best of times and heartbreaking too. We found a tied sack on the local dcharge a couple of years ago with five dead kittens inside and even my husband was moved to tears. When we took in a little abandoned female some five years back and went to have her "done" she was already pregnant. The vet kept the foetuses for us to see when we collected her and they looked like round balls of pink bubble gum. I have never heard of any animal having babies after being speyed and I wonder if the vet did actually do the correct operation or not! Both our females had stitches across the lower belly and a self-sticking bandage which they soon pulled off and licked their wounds all the time eventually chewing the stitches as well,but they turned out fine.