Chickens... Which/how/where???!?!?!?!

3141Castro

Hi all...

We have our chicken coup, and our fenced run...

now where do we get chickens from? the market / farm / trader ??

what breed is best for laying?

what do i feed them on?

Any ideas/tips please... I have not got a clue...

I do have an uncle who is a champion breeder of Marans back in the UK - But hes as deaf as a post. I rang him yesterday, 30 mins later - I was a lot wiser on cricket ?!?!?! but no info on chickens. Bless.

PLEASE HELP US !!!

regards

Phil and James

http://www.leboisdelamotte.com

>Hi all...
>
>We have our chicken coup, and
>our fenced run...
>
>now where do we get chickens
>from? the market / farm
>/ trader ??

Hi Phil and James and welcome to the wonderful world of chickens!!

We got ours from Rouillac market (sort of NW of Angouleme - 27th of every month)but you will find most markets sell hens. Make sure you buy hens which have been vaccinated and are point-of-lay.

We bought two maran and two light sussex, this was March 2003 and they have been brilliant - 3 to 4 eggs every day which is plenty for us.

I feed mine left-over bread with watered down milk each morning at 8 when I open up the hen-house. At lunchtime they get crushed maize (mais caiss)which I buy in 25kg sacks for about 8 euros from the local aggri cooperative but you can get this from the market. They also have plenty of fresh water, left over veggie peelings, spagetti which they love, cabbage leaves and lettuce when I have some and my neighbour chucks in weeds from her veggie patch which they scrabble about in. I also chuck in a handful of corn (bl) each day as they love to scratch and scrabble.

They are wonderful, highly amusing and intelligent and have their own distinct personalities.

Don't forget to shut them up at night so that renaud doesn't get them and you will have years of pleasure!

regards.....helen
PS Lots of information about chickens on the gardening forum and a good book to get is Hugh Fernly-Whittinstalls Rivercottage Cookbook - loads of hints and tips for poultry rearing and eating.