Uninvited visitors

Just got back from France after a phone call from our neighbours saying we have had visitors. Had to call into the Police and the bank re the house insurance.(now the fun starts)They didn't get into the house but cleaned out the workshop.It seems they are doing the circuit and second homes are favourite targets English and French. Some people down the road got done Saturday night Sunday Morning and they are French living in Paris. We were lucky no damage was done to our property but we are still trying to work out how they done it.
If anyone is visiting brocantes etc and they see any power tools with english plugs on (red devil) and a red Autoporte with the grass box and a towing ball at the front IT'S MINE.

Oh well back to the translations for the items lost.

Steve

I'm sorry to hear your tale of woe. I just goes to proove a point that France isn't the place anymore to be carefree and not lock your doors and windows, although you obviously had. We get it round here in the winter especially holiday homes all shuttered up and boats too are another favourite with the little plastic shuttle dingys which lie up onthe beach being used to get the thieves out in the bay to the boats because they are not padlocked up. My brother had drug addicts break into his home in the Pas de Calais about four years ago and this wasn't a holiday home, the damage they did was terrible and were never caught. A family at Scrignac here in 29 were caught thieving local english holiday homes and when the gendarmes entered their home it was like Aladdins Cave with all the spoils of their robbing. It pays to keep in with a good vigilant neighbour who can check your property every few days whilst you are inthe UK. We had gypsies round yesterday selling horrible linen things and they certainly had a good look round as they walked down the drive but I made sure they saw me watching them.

LAST EDITED ON 02-Jul-04 AT 08:58 AM (BST)

I have to say that this is my biggest fear about having a holiday home. There is nothing particularly valuable or sentimental, but we did spend a long time furnishing it with good-quality second-hand furniture (not quite "antique", but stuff that you would find in a good brocante and which is easy to sell on at a good price).

I hear these stories about organised burglars who turn up with a van and clean you out - OK, we are insured, but the hassle of finding replacements doesn't bear thinking about, not to mention the loss of gite revenue whilst we are refurnishing!

Our house is isolated, but we do have a good-quality burglar alarm which will call our mobiles to alert us of any break-ins - but what if they are organised enough to cut the phone lines?!

I have suggested to my husband that we put a sign up indicating that this is a "Gite", on the assumption that potential burglars will think it's not worth bothering with as a gite is unlikely to have anything valuable in it. But his argument is that that is just advertising the fact that it is not a permanent residence and is likely to be empty for long periods of time, particularly in the winter (although I think that it is pretty obvious that it is not a permanent residence).

What do you think? - I'd be interested to hear other opinions/experiences.

(PS - Sorry Steve to hear about your recent nasty experience, and sorry to "hijack" your posting. I hope they catch the b****s and that you get your stuff back).

Thanks for the comments and support. Don't want to upset anyone BUT, I said in the first message about the other family who got a visit last Saturday night. Wanna tell you a story.....1am their phone rang (they live just outside Paris (disney side)it was their burgular alarm saying "help" I am being attacked, they jumped out of bed phoned the local police (Dept71 in Burgundy)hightailed it down the autoroute, arrived before the local police!!. What did they find, shutters forced off the wall with crowbars, stonework all smashed where the hinges were forced out, window completely smashed, door off its hinges (it fell down as he tried to open it) best bit was the alarm, they had smashed the orange flashing light, and put foam into the alarm box to muffle the noise.
They took the usual tv, video, rad/cassette, lamps
Just to say if they want in they will.

Found my tractor yet??

Steve