Horse Passports

Kwp

I brought a horse and two ponies from the UK prior to equine passports being introduced in the uk. The only paperwork they currently have is their (uk)vaccination certs with an id taken. Do they require French passports; I presume this is a Europwide requirement? Having said that I know of a lot of French owners who do not have "les papiers". What are these "papiers" exactly, my understanding is that they are breed papers rather than registration documents?

Sorry to be so clueless but having trawled the BHS and DEFRA sites, I can't seem to find any information relating to this situation! And having had incredible fun and games with Defra when we brought our menagerie to France, I would be very surprised if they knew anyway....!!!

Thanks

Catharine

LAST EDITED ON 25-Jun-04 AT 02:40 PM (BST)

European regulations means that ALL equine must have a european style passports.

They have a filled out description of the horse/pony with marking etc and any additional features. There should be a section for vaccinations and also one for crossing borders + a few other standard sections. The breed will be marked either as unknown or as the particular race with names of parents etc (if known). You will generally not have any further breed papers unless you have bred them yourself and/or intend to breed them - e.g a stallion.

This is also the document that may be checked for competition and/or when transporting.

http://www.bsja.co.uk/passports.html has details, but note that the passport regulation is for all equine, not just those that are competeting.

http://www.agriculture.gouv.fr/spip/IMG/pdf/identification_271103.pdf

Shows how to get one when in France, but you can also ask your vet to set it up for you.

regs

Richard