RSPCA equivalent.

maude

Not too hopefull hereabouts.A close neighbour keeps a goat and 3 sheep together.The goat has alarge wooden triangle of 2x1/2 around its neck,a collar,attached to the collar is a piece of chain and in tow with it a log 3" diam and 24" long.No locals seem to show any concern,only amusement.A French aquaintence has phoned twice the Eqivalent,but as they are very thin on the ground so to speak,no action has been followes up.The goat has been like this for 18 months!Cannot possibly intervene ourselves,as the offending neighbour(on a smallholding) has a son in mid teens, who just happenned to have intruded into our house on two occasions past,gendarmerie involved,but no conclusive proof except my wife,s quick visual.She was in bed at the time,I was out early morning,using my wifes car hence the **** thought no one was in!

Cannot run the risk of another 100 years war by intervening personally!!But his CARD is MARKED.

Dennis

I've noticed a few similar cases posted in the last few weeks (but its all a bit to slow to go back and find them, so I'll comment here).

I appreciate that with locals it can be difficult to act in cases of animal cruelty. The risks of antagonism with locals are real and in a worst case scenario could make ones life very difficult.

Near me there were a few horses, one of whom needed vet treatment but was not getting it. With a visiting local, we decided that the one route was to report it to the local vet (anonymously). I was lucky in that the French person did the reporting (fluent) so there was never any risk it would be associated with me as I have very poor language skills. In this case the local vet did then visit the same day but unfortunately was unable to go on the land without the owners permission. I don’t know where things went from there but it may be in some of the cases I’ve seen mentioned on this site, discussing things with the local vet may be a route to get some action taken without your neighbours knowing who started things.