Compromis

Well, 6 weeks after having had my offer accepted the compromis has finally arrived. I have a few unresolved questions and this being Bastille Day, everyone is off enjoying the holiday, so I can't get any answers from the agent etc.

Perhaps you can help?

When I viewed the property I was shown the boundaries and advised that it amounted to one hectare which seemed about right. The details in the compromis show 12 parcels/sections of land amounting to just over 5 hectares. Unfortunately the plans supplied are totally inadequate for me to work out where they are.

The area plan show only two of the numbered sectors and the plan of the house and gardens/land is about two inches across for what is supposed to be one hectare. They only show my intended house (no neighbours houses are shown)and a result, due to the scale, it is impossible for me to work out if the boundaries shown correspond to what I physically saw. Again the sector numbers do not correspond to the details in the compromis

Is this normal or should I have been supplied better maps/plans.Would any better plans exist ?

Second question - My wife and I made it clear that we wished to purchase under 'Communaut Universelle'. This has not been mentioned in the compromis. The only reference I can find mentions purchase jointly and half each. Should this be clear in the compromis or should I clarify this with the notaire at the 'acte de vente' stage.

If I can't sort it, it looks like I might have to make a flying visit and check it all physically.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Tony

Copies of the cadastral map are available for inspection at the mairie, they show all land parcels, duly numbered, although not the ownership. They can be purchased from the department's cadastral section of the tax office but this should not be necessary before buying the place, there is no reason why you shouldn't be sent a better copy by your notaire/agent, afaik.
It could well be a simple administrative error, they could have five hectares for sale but plan to sell the rest of the land separately. Or they might be trying to tempt you to put in an offer for more. Imo you'd do better to wait till tomorrow (or even Monday) and clear it up on the phone.

Just to update you all with the result.

It does appear that more land is included in the sale than the agent was originally aware of and is included in the agreed price.(long story)

The error with the plans was explained as 'the notaires clerk being in a hurry to go on holiday the day she posted it all to us.'

They are obtaining full and accurate plans from the Mairie and I will recieve the revised compromis in a week or so.

Now adopting 'C'est la vie' mode and will chill out. It will either happen or it won't, and worrying won't change anything.

Thanks for the replies.

Tony