Checking dog tattoos

Chrissie

We have just picked up a dog that had been wandering along a busy road near us all afternoon.  He has a tattoo in his ear and I rang the tattoo central number in Paris - but they are apparently closed at weekends!  Local vets are now closed and a quick trawl along the route he came from has produced no results so far.  Local dog refuge is "not available" at weekends.

I have managed to house him in a friend's shed for the night (one of our own dogs will attack anything canine that comes into view).

Any ideas how I can trace the owner before Monday?

Chrissie (81)

You could try the police. I believe that the national tattoo database is available at weekends but not to the general public. The response you get from the police will probably depend on your local force (and may not be very good for the dog). If you can wait until Monday and go through a refuge/vet then it may be better.

Just to say we managed to keep the lost dog safely until owners were traced on Monday.  He was an already-rehomed dog from the local refuge.  One rather odd thing - the owners just put him in the car and drove away. No particular thanks and no offers to reimburse my friend who had housed and fed him for 48 hours..... nowt so strange as folks!

Chrissie