cat export to France

Porth

We are due to move on the 24th of this month.  Our three dogs are all up to date with the vaccinations and rabies and have pet passports.

Thomas the elderly cat is up to date with his vaccinations but as he is not likely to be coming back we have not had a rabies jab done or microchipped(yet!)  Our vets tell us today that a 'flyer' has just been received from DEFRA the effect of which is that animals cannot travel within 21 days of the rabies jab.  Thus if we have it done tomorrow then we cannot comply and thus our house completion and everything else is well and truly in a mess.

Does anyone please have any ideas as to how one exports a cat who is not likely due to age to return?

kind regards and hoping for a quick response.

Hi

If your cat is unlikely to come back with you, does he need a rabies jab before he goes??

Why not speak direct to DEFRA because I'm sure they told me that my cat didn't need the rabies jab if he wasn't coming backto the UK. But perhaps I misunderstood.

However, if that is the case we will probably get him done out there, just in case we end up coming back, as you just never know what the future holds!

Good Luck

Lynda

Thanks Defra have now confirmed that it is a very recent innovation and a clear 21 days has to pass whether or not you are coming back.  If you are of course the six month rule applies as well as the blood test then being taken in France.

We would wish to be absolutely compliant and because that is what the rules say and we are naturally concerned over Thomas.

I am not inclined due to being a lawyer to take a 'flyer' so it seems that Thomas has to be booked into a cattery near Portsmouth for two days and then I have to come back and collect him.

Has anyone used a cattery near the port please.

Final point and here there is a family row that my nearest and dearest suggests that one family can only take out three pets.  We thus have four?  I say the rules only apply to other animals other than dogs and cats?  Again any experience please?

kind regards

We moved over in February this year. All 5 cats with rabies jabs about 7 weeks previous ( no blood tests as we/they aren't coming back ). Arrived Eurotunnel with full car and cats in caravan. "Do you have any animals travelling with you" " Yes five cats" Ok stick this in your windscreen" They didn't even ask to see the cats passports. Friends have had similar experiences. They don't sem to worry to much going to France, much more thorough comimh back to UK.

It all depends on whether you want to take a chance. I doubt you would have a problem but you never can tell

Bon chance - Tony

thanks for all your most helpful replies.  We are trying to work this through and maybe just maybe take a chance for we too have not been stopped in the past.

Seeing vet this pm so we will see.

thanks again