Dog Identity Disc

Norfolkstar

Could someone please tell me what information is put on a Dog Identity Disc in France.

In England we are encouraged just to put just the owner's name on one side with the postcode and on the other side a contact telephone number.

We are moving to a house which has loose boundaries, but within a village, so I think it will be necessary to get Sam a new identity disc in case he wanders off !!  Of course, he has his chip ..and suppose in time local people will get to know him !!

See you all on the 6th June ... can't wait

A few thoughts (not to be taken the wrong way but comments based on the experience of others and a few things I have found out).

If you live in a rural environment (e.g. with livestock around or nearby) and you let your dog wander, there is a risk that you may be accused (or rather your dog may be accused) of attacking livestock (e.g. killing a sheep, chickens, etc.). The other week during my piano lesson the police arrived as somebody had accused my teachers dog of killing a sheep (despite the fact that it probably could not catch a sheep that was already dead !). After the visit discussing it with her, apparently it is not uncommon that a farmer tries to blame a local dog as he can then collect insurance from them (my teacher is French and has lived in the area for years). May vary in different parts, but if people know your dog can wander then you risk becoming exposed to such things.

With regard to 3rd party insurance, check with your insurance company, but you will probably find that your 3rd party insurance will only cover you if you take reasonable steps stop it wandering off freely, etc.

There have been a few horror stories about dogs found by (or taken to the police).

Remember that in many rural areas people keep chickens which are often not kept enclosed. Will your dog just ignore such temptations when alone ?

Many dogs in France do not wear identity disks (mine don’t) so I guess put info on them to enable you to be contacted by somebody finding the dog. However, I would think carefully about “lose boundaries”.

We were advised to put your surname on one side and the telephone number on the other. So we did. The dog lost the disk two days later and I never bothered again as by then the locals knew perfectly well to whom 'Fleabag' belonged. You would have had to see the dog to appreciate the joke, she was tatooed and chipped anyway!

Our posts crossed, Flea was terrified of chickens, couldn't have chased anything to save her life and was insured.

Identity discs don't seem to be all that common in France - at least not round here. The usual practice is for a number to be tattooed in the ear, this number being held on a national register, though microchipping seems to be equally acceptable. I have an idea this might be a legal requirement (though we know what the average Frenchman thinks of legal requirements).

If your dog lived in France for 3 months he/she becomes a French resident and needs to be registered. The time and rules are pretty “black and white” but it isn’t expensive to register with the SCC. Your dog does not need to be tattooed nor re-chipped – his/her existing chip is fine. You register through your vet (i.e. the vet has the forms). The biggest challenge is that some vets don’t really worry too much and, for example, I’ve lived here for ages (> 1year) and I still have not registered my UK dog. Each visit to the vet when I ask I get a different reason (a bit like the Monty Python “Cheese shop” game). My vet supposedly now have the forms, etc.

French and UK microchip databases are NOT connected (as yet, as far as I’m aware). Although anybody can find details of which database a given chip is registered in (using the web), this is not always done. Petlog can register your address as being in France, though “on the day”, the French authorities may not ask Petlog for your contact details so it is a good idea to register with the SCC properly.

The best advice is not to let your pet wander and get those loose boundaries tightened up.

Concerning the discs which always get lost, we put those little and inexpensive plastic tags on (for keys or suitcases, etc.), they come in packets with several tags, and if the dog loses it, we just put another one on with our name, town and telephone number.

TheSCC has an enormous backlog for registering animals, it takes about 7 months.  If they have a tag on their collar with a phone number, as well as the other identifications of tattoo or chip, you will retrieve your animal far more quickly.

Bonne chance and welcome to France, Christine

http://animalaidsaintaubin.monsite.wanadoo.fr

Yes, but in France "about 7" months, could easily be 9 months.

We all know that over here in a week is "dans 8 jours"; in a fortnight is "dans 15 jours"

then why does the piece of furniture, a "semainier", only have 7 drawers?

This was mentioned in a very funny article by Art Buchwald in the International Herald Tribune many, many years ago, called something like "The Problem of Telling What Time it is in France".  If ever I come across it, I'll post it on here somewhere.

Sorry for "straying away" from the dog tags, I think I may have loose boundaries!

Christine

Interesting reading about our dogs wandering off and being accused of killing livestock.  I'm just amused since every time the hunters are around our village (which is a lot) I seem to end up with a stray dog looking longingly at me for some tlc.  I've been advised not to let them into the house as they will get used to warmth, love and kindness - even for half hour or so - and kick up a fuss when their owner turns up and throws them into the back of his van with his pals.  No word of thanks for phoning to report his lost dog, just grab, chuck and gone. 

One rule for them and one for us ay?