Scalibor collar - anyone heard of this

Lori

Took our precious collie in for his annual vaccinations. The vet recommended a new collar called Scalibor to protect him against ticks and mosquitoe transmitted diseases. I asked him if the frontline did not protect him from these and the answer was - yes, from the ticks, but no from the mosquitoe illnesses, which are prevalent here (Vaucluse). I bought it 15.90 Euros and it is good for 6 months. I was not sure he would wear it as he is not accustomed to wearing a collar - so far so good. Has anyone else heard of this?

We adore our dog and want him to be protected as best possible, but had never heard of this new "thing."

Christine: No, had no idea there was a vaccine for the tick maladie. Is it dangerous (the vaccine)? Wonder why my Vet didn't tell me about it when we took our boy in for his vaccines?? Is it not commonly given? He (our Vet), knows how much we adore this animal and want to do everything in our power to keep him with us for as long as possible.

When was it made available??

There are vaccinations for Piroplasmose and Lyme. The Piroplasmose seems the one everybody really worries about (maybe as its so quick). However, the vaccination is quite pricey and is not 100%. I actually corresponded with Merial when I was considering it and got the response “Antigènes solubles concentrés de Babesia canis q.s. pour obtenir chez 75 % des chiens vaccinés un titre en anticorps > 1/160.” (at least that is part of the response).

The vaccine is from Merial. Leaflet showing incidence of Piroplasmose around France (by department) http://fr.merial.com/pdfs/prevention/Leaflet_PIRODOG_tryp_ok_2_quest.pdf. Leaflet about vaccine http://fr.merial.com/pdfs/prevention/Leaflet_PIRODOG_tryp_ok_2_traitement.pdf.

People say that the really important thing is to be very aware of the symptoms of Piroplasmose and rush to the vet at the first sign. Caught early it is treatable.

I asked at my agility club and most people don’t vaccinate for Piroplasmose (I live in the countryside as do some other dogs at my agility club). I asked a local PA (Piègeur Agrée from the chasse) and his dogs were vaccinated and used the collar (probably the one you mention but not sure). My vet alternately suggests it then suggests not worrying about it (it’s quite an expensive vaccination).

I have heard of such collars but use only Frontline myself. Last year had loads of ticks (both on the dogs and in the house – remembering that Frontline kills the ticks after they have attached but before they have time to spread disease) but this year none, though other locals have had plenty on their dogs.

Ian

Yes, I do try to give whatever I can to protect our beloved dog. Sounds like the vaccine for the tick maladie is not so commonly given, perhaps this is why my Vet did not mention it - not sure.

I guess I am always looking for whatever necessary to protect one of the most precious parts of our lives. Guess I am perhaps a "sap," but our dog is like a child to us. He is very special and if I could have another like him (and afford it), I would. So far, we are convinced there is no other like him.

Anyway, thank you for the info. I will follow up.

Lori, the vaccine has existed for several years now.  Do you speak French?  I have just copied for you a text concerning piroplasmose where they mention the vaccine (hope this works as its rather long!) :

LA PIROPLASMOSE

La piroplasmose du chien est une maladie due à un parasite du sang, le piroplasme, transmis par les tiques. Cette maladie est très largement répandue et atteint la quasi-totalité des départements français. Au coeur des départements peu touchés, on peut observer des foyers isolés.

La tique est responsable de la contamination

Les périodes douces et humides du printemps et de l'automne sont favorables au développement des tiques. Ce sont les saisons les plus risquées pour votre chien même si toutes les tiques ne sont pas porteuses de piroplasmes. Les tiques qui peuvent transmettre la piroplasmose à votre chien sont présentes en zone rurale (broussailles, lisière de bois) comme en zone urbaine (jardins, parcs, terrains vagues). Elles se nourrissent exclusivement du sang qu'elles prélèvent sur le chien ou sur d'autres animaux (parfois l'homme !) Dès qu'un chien passe à sa portée, la tique se fixe dessus, enfonce son rostre (sorte de "mâchoire") dans la peau et se gorge de sang. Après 48 H, elle transmet au chien les piroplasmes contenus dans sa salive, puis se détache et tombe au sol où elle va continuer son cycle de développement.

Le piroplasme

un parasite des globules rouges

Injecté avec la salive de la tique, le piroplasme pénètre à l'intérieur des globules rouges et provoque leur éclatement, à l'origine d'une anémie (chute importante du taux des globules rouges dans le sang).

La piroplamose est un ennemi redoutable. pour protéger votre compagnon le plus efficacement possible, il est nécessaire d'associer les 3 mesures suivantes :

1.Appliquer régulièrement et soigneusement un antiparasitaire efficace.

2.Vacciner précocement avec le vaccin antipiroplasmose.

3.Inspecter soigneusement votre animal au retour de chaque balade pour éliminer d'éventuelles tiques.

La vaccination

Le vaccin piroplasmose est à ce jour, le premier et le seul vaccin antiparasitaire enregistré en France chez le chien. Cette vaccination ne garantit pas une protection à 100 % mais elle diminue significativement le risque de maladie et atténue la gravité des symptômes.

Pour renforcer la qualité de cette protection, il est nécessaire de vacciner le plus tôt possible (à partir de 5 mois) avant que le chiot ne soit en contact avec le piroplasme, et de préférence durant les périodes à risque minimum, c'est-à-dire l'hiver et l'été.

Votre vétérinaire connaît bien les moyens pour protéger votre chien contre les tiques et la piroplasmose.

N'hésitez pas à lui demander conseil.

Les symptômes

6 à 8 jours après la piqûre de tique porteuse de piroplasmes, les premiers symptômes apparaissent chez le chien. Généralement, l'affection débute par une grande fatigue (le chien hésite à se déplacer et refuse toute nourriture) et une forte fièvre d'apparition brutale.

Ces symptômes s'accompagnent parfois, de l'émission d'urine foncée.

Dans certains cas, les symptômes de piroplasmose sont atypiques.

En un ou deux jours, ces symptômes s'aggravent avec une atteinte du foie et surtout des reins (augmentation du taux d'urée dans le sang) ainsi qu'une intense anémie (les muqueuses de l¹oeil et des babines sont très pâles).

Sans traitement adapté, entrepris le plus rapidement possible, la piroplasmose peut être mortelle pour le chien.

Il faut donc consulter votre vétérinaire dès les tous premiers signes de la maladie. Pour confirmer le diagnostic, un examen sanguin est réalisé pour visualiser au microscope la présence de parasites dans les globules rouges.

Diagnostiquée précocement, la piroplasmose peut être soignée de façon efficace. Certains chiens, cependant, conservent des séquelles.

We were recomended to use a scalibor collar for our dogs last year. Apparently it will prevent bites from sandflies [ not the sort that live on the beach these live inland and I'm sorry I dont know the "proper" name for them] Sandflies carry a disease called Leichmaniosis [?spelling].

I checked with our vet in the UK and yes, this is a very unpleasent illness for dogs, no frontline wont work, and Scalibor collars do. They have the added benefit of also helping to repel ticks and fleas. This year with the collars I have seen far fewer ticks attaching to the dogs.

Needless to say our dogs wear the collars in France!

Sarah

Thanks Christine - I read the info on Piroplasmosis, but I already knew about that. My Vet gave me the collar to protect our dog against the sandfly/mosquitoe disease(s) such as the one Steve@Sarah mentioned. The Vet knows that we give our dog Frontline each month - which am told is to protect him against ticks and fleas (as best anything can). The Scalibor collar is for the sandfly/mosquitoes, which as Steve said Frontline does not protect against.

This is the maladie I had not heard of - the Leisch.... (don't know how to spell it). Apparently, it is common enough around here for the Vet to recommend we take it.

Considering how many flies bite me (and I'm not outside as much as the dog is) I'm sure it is a relief if it works.

Anyway, thanks for the data..