New Build Costs

I am planning to build a new property in the Dordorgne, Limousin or Poitou Charentes region. Can any one tell the approximate cost per sq Mtr?
The type of property I would like is a 3 Bed Detached House with Dormer Windows in the roof complete with a underground garage.
Additionally does anyone have any idea about the cost of a project manager who would supervise the build in our absence and any of the pitfalls of entrusting someone with permission to spend your hard earned cash?
Another option, as I have experience in the building industry here in the UK, is that I would prepared to complete the internal fit, does anyone know if French Builders are happy to just provide a weather tight shell to a customer?

Thanks

LAST EDITED ON 22-Jul-04 AT 09:51 PM (BST)

Hello.

As a general rule of thumb, you can estimate the cost of your project to be around 750 per m. A little more expensive if you construct in wood. The dormers won't make a lot of difference overall.

Things that can significantly affect the cost of your project are a steeply sloping plot, steep roof (check with the DDE), whether you want a convertible loft space (traditional carpentry) and the kind of windows and doors you want.

Most constructors will be happy to finish the house to the level you want. Indeed, this is very frequent in France.

A project manager (maitre d'oeuvre) will normally charge between 10% and 12%. An architect will be approximately the same. You could always go through a constructor where these fees will be transparent but you'll still end up paying about the same.

We know some good architects and maitres d'oeuvre in the areas you mentioned. Don't hesitate to contact us if you are interested. Or even just for general advice!

All the best.

Ben Symons
http://www.idealfrance.com