Cat going through tunnel Sept - Passport Question

Franchesco

We are off to our new home in The Var in September. we have the cat chipped and vaccinated but did not complete the final blood test since we have decided she will not be coming back, neither are we.

Do we need to have her checked by our vet before setting out or can we just drive on and drive off the train and go on our merry way? I am confused as to whether we need some kind of documentation signed by the Vet less than five days before we travel.

Any other tips for taking the cat through the tunnel and on down to our french paradise. The forum has been a great help as we prepared for the purchase of a home and all the steps since.

:Thanks, Franchesco

Hi Franchesco

I will be taking one of my dogs through the tunnel in Sept too and she has not had the final blood test for rabies as she will not be coming back.

I do have a passport for her signed by the vet and I will be taking all her innoculation certificates with me. A friend of mine took her animals -- cat and dog they had their chips tested at the terminal and were let through (at first it would not recognise the chip). I have been told there is a special check in at the tunnel for cars with animals ... they always ask at check in whether you have any animals and I suppose they direct you to the correct place to be "checked".After that it is bon voyage !!

All the best

Barry

Quote: “… but did not complete the final blood test since we have decided she will not be coming back, neither are we.” And also “and she has not had the final blood test for rabies as she will not be coming back”

The number of times people say that and the number of times you see pets having to be re-homed because plans have changed is decidedly disappointing. Blood tests are not particularly expensive. The problem most people have should things change and they thus have to return is the 6 month wait after the blood sample/successful test – hence so many pets then need to be re-homed. I would suggest it is worth having the blood test done (just in case).

Circumstances can change (beyond your own control on occasions) – and having to re-home your pet does not make things easier – yet people still try to save a few quid by “not bothering” with the blood test.

Ian

I absolutely agree with Ian - you'll read so many posts on this and other forums about folk having to return to the UK for whatever reasons and having to find homes for their beloved pets.  As Ian says, for the sake of a few extra £/€ why don't you get it done?

Yep and I'm going to add my vote for getting that final test done too, apart from the sad case of the lady who recently died, nearly all the 'home needed' posts here are from people going back to the UK unexpectedly. Please don't run the risk of having to be parted from a much loved pet to the dissapointment of returning to the UK should things not work out the way you hope.

Hi Guys

" for the sake of a few quid" how patronising!!!!!.. My dog is 12 and will be 13 next year so she will definately not be coming back...I have been in two minds whether she should come but when I am not there she frets My other two dogs are 5 years old and when they come across... with my partner in two years time ...they will have the antibodies test as will the cat...the dogs will then be able to holiday in other european countries.. with the odd exception

Everyone's circumstances are different -- yes I agree some people do take risks and they have to go back to England faster than they arrived but please credit some of us with some intelligence....

Sore point with me sorry for blowing off!!

Barry

If you don’t want advice then don’t ask for it. And when you don’t accuse others of being patronising. People spent time responding to a question asked. They answered based on their experience.

What makes you think people are not “crediting you with some intelligence”. You see lots of pet requires home because no blood test and 6 months is too long posts. Nobody ever suggests these people don’t have any intelligence – the advice given was based on peoples experience.

And by the way, you don’t need the blood test to visit virtually all other European countries (I think its just UK, Denmark and Ireland that require the blood test, etc.).

Blow off all you like but be surprised if people don’t bother to spend their time helping you further. I certainly wont be bothering with any questions you may have in future if that’s the best response you can give.

Well, we came before the rabies vacines and passports were compulsory and and we just got the export liciences, these were the way to get your animals into the country, we always said that if need be, sinse the passports came about we would get the passorts done, but having brought 17  amimals 12 cats and 7 dogs most of which are quite elderly ( having 7, 16 to 20 year old cats and 4 dogs over the age of 10) we knew we woulden't be bringing most of them home, within the next couple of years, we have now lost two of the 20 year old cats and two of the 14 year old dogs, the point getting is that it cost us over £2000 to bring them over knowing that alot of them wouldn't be coming back but we have took precautions since and got the younger cats and dogs rabies and passported since and we know if we had to come back it would be okay cos by the time we sold up and sorted ourselves they could all come with us, the younger ones all 14 of the and the old ones after 6 mths

so what I' m saying is cover yourselves, if they are young get the blood test and if they are old if theres any chance of you going back start the process straight away and probebly by the time you go they will be able to come with you,

As we all say a animal is for life! and we brought them here, don't let us be another one of those leaving their animals behind because we didn' t think that we might not go back!always take precautions!

Hi Lizzy

i agree whole heartedly with you the young ones have been done and will be kept upto date with all innoculations the older one has had the rabies jab and if needs be i can get the blood test carried out in France... she would NEVER be left behind...

cheers

barry

As far as I'm aware,  there is no check-in for animals to be tested this side of the tunnel. We take our dogs over on a regular basis and are asked at the check in if we have any animals on board. We are then given a window badge stating this. We then drive straight through and off the tunnel the other side. The passports are only checked on the return journey before entering the UK.

This is only our experience, and I'm not saying that there is definitely not a check-in this side. But, on the occasions (approx 10) our dogs have travelled then we have never been checked on the outward journey.

Hope this helps.

Jon

[quote]Quote: “… but did not complete the final blood test since we have decided she will not be coming back, neither are we.” And also “and she has not had the final blood test for rabies as she will not be...[/quote]

Hi Ian,

Thank you for taking the time to reply and for your sincere sentiments. We decided against completing the blood test in order to save our cat from the stress of the process. Our Vet suggested it would be less than pleasant for her and since we have no intention of coming back it seemed like the right thing to do. Otherwise I take your point and appreciate your comments.

We moved out at the end of April via the tunnel and no one bothered to even ask for the papers or even to see the dogs!!!

They are now happily resident in France and have just had their boosters and rabies top up - whilst the english allow 2 years - in France it has to be done every year - local rules apply also much cheaper over here than back in the UK

James