Advice re. puppy

Georgina

I have just bought a puppy from a proper breeder and I think I understood what she said but would like confirmation.  The puppy has been chipped and had the first set of vaccinations and she said I should get a booster in one month's time.  Can anyone advise if this is correct and what I should expect to pay for the booster.  Also what should I say at the vet, or should I just show him the book she gave me with the details of the original vaccines, it's hard to make out exactly what but it looks like the usual vaccines were given? I need to get this right before I go. Should I get the worming tablets from the vet or does anyone know if there is such a thing as a pet shop, I have not seen one?

Any help appreciated.

Georgina

When I got my pup (in France) she had already had her first vaccinations and just needed the boosters. This seems normal practice in France (unlike in the UK). Just taking the vaccination card to your vet should do fine. My experience with French vets (I speak very little/poor French) is that they understand pretty well and generally make the effort.

The one vaccination that is important that will probably not have been given at the young age is rabies (rage). Ask you vet when you need to return for the rabies vaccination(s). In addition to entries in the vaccination record for rabies I also get a certificate. First year you get a blue one, then red in subsequent years. I believe this is an important certificate and should be kept carefully. My dog club has advised me to take this rabies certificate around with me when I go anywhere with the dogs (though I actually don’t bother).

First time rabies is later that the other vaccinations (due to the age of the pup). However, in subsequent years vets can give all vaccinations at the same time (i.e. the rabies a bit earlier) which is easier and cheaper. Vaccinations are given letter codes and mine get :CHPPI2 L and R (Maladie de Carre, Hepatite de Rubarth, Pavovirose, Leptospirose, Parainflenza (type 2)). There are other vaccinations possible (e.g. piroplasmose, maladie de Lyme) but I believe these are not the norm.

One thing to consider is that, if you want to visit the UK (or there is the possibility of every returning to the UK), you will need to go through the pet passport procedures. This can take a year in total so safest to start a.s.a.p.. Basically, go through the normal rabies stuff and the a month after the rabies vaccination you need to get a blood test for rabies antibodies done. Most vets are familiar with the procedures. The Pet Passport document also contains a record of rabies vaccinations and it can be better to get a Pet Passport straight away and get every rabies vaccination put in as it is done.

Your breeder should have sent off the re-registration papers (giving you part with the dogs details on). It can take ages for the new paperwork to come through from the SCC (i.e. the registration papers). Mine took over 9 months.

I have always got worming tablets from the vet as I believe they are better than those sold “over the counter” in e.g. supermarkets. Also, ask your vet about tick and flea treatments (ticks in particular can be quite dangerous to dogs). Most people use Frontline for this (though there are other treatments) and the only difference between Frontline in shops and from vets is the price.

Hope this helps. (sorry for going on)

Ian

Hi there

I've just had my 2 German Shepherds vaccinated, 60€ for the 2, including Rabies......................we were in the vets an hour, both dogs given a full MOT, plus horse and goat care also discussed  and relevant medication issued.
Total bill (including Metacam and a flexi-joint product for 1 dog (can't remember the name)) 110€.....................Bargain!!!

Regards

Chris

Great, thanks, Ian and Chris.  Ian, do not apologise for your very informative response.  It was really interesting and should be used as a post it for people who buy dogs in France. I don't think I have seen this information anywhere else.

Could I suggest this Admin???

Georgina

• 2 weeks later...

[quote]Hi there I've just had my 2 German Shepherds vaccinated, 60€ for the 2, including Rabies......................we were in the vets an hour, both dogs given a full MOT, plus horse and goat care also di...[/quote]

Chris,

I see that you got some Metacam.  Do you need a prescription to get Metacam in France?

Peter