Anyone filled up a Pet Passport yet??

YCCMB

Am curious: intend to phone DEFRA and ask the question after the hols, but I noticed that there are fewer spaces in the Pet Passport for the physical examination by the vet than there are for the various other required pre-travel treatments.

Visited the vet this week prior to returning to the UK and he used up the last available space for signing off the dog as fit to travel. However, there's still loads of space left for the tic/flea/tapeworm treatments. Is this likely to mean having to get a new passport?? Really seems daft that there aren't the same number of spaces for each of the required things!! Has anyone already encountered this problem and what happened??

My impression was that the “fit for travel” sections are not a requirement (i.e. there is no requirement that a vet certify that the animal is fit for travel in order to enter UK or France). That said my vet has always filled in that section so I may be wrong or there may be advice/guidance to French vets about filling in that section (don’t know).

I would imaging that whilst I am aware of no requirement that a vet certify the animal be “fit for travel”, the contrary is probably not true in that if the vet states that the animal is not fit for travel, etc.

Maybe somebody else knows about the requirements for a vet to certify the animal as being fit for travel ?

Ian

Deimos, they certainly never used to be a requirement, in fact our dog's passport dates back to 2004, but the vet only started bothering to fill out the fitness for travel bit in April '05. However, since then, the dog always gets a physical exam and hence the section for this on his passport is now full. I've e-mailed DEFRA for an answer, but am anxious to know if it's a requirement or simply an option, because I've already had at least 3 separate arguments at Eurotunnel regarding documentation, in spite of doing the same things each time. Since the introduction of the scheme, we've probably been to and fro with our dog at least 15 times.No offence to Eurotunnel, but there appear to have been a number of minor adjustments to the rules and regs which simply don't filter through to pet owners, whilst the operators are in fear of their lives if they let through an animal whose paperwork doesn't conform 100%. I'll post on here when I get DEFRA's response, as it may be of use to others to know.