horses? is it easier over there?

tinker

hi,

There is a good chance me and my family will be moving to france not sure where yet. poss SW.

Just read in horse and hound that the land is clay? and it goes horrible in winter, gets lovely grass spring/autum and burns up in summer?

Also how hard is it communicating to vets/farriers etc (is it hard trying to find a farrier) i know some french non horsey thou!

And what about feed. also i heard there is no haylage just hay?

Any help will be useful thanks

our land is also clay, wich in summer is fine but autumn/spring when it gets wet it's really muddy.

we found a farrier through some friends, and well communicating doensn't go very smoothely but it works. haven't had a vet over yet, but will have to in a week or 2 for the annual vaccinations. from what we've heared the vet here in Thiviers is very good.

I don't knnow about haylage, we only feed hay.

Our land is chalk and weather much colder, so can't help you there.   But we have the choice of three farriers all within a radius of about 40km, and have found the vets to be excellent.   Much cheaper than the UK too.   We also only feed hay.

i feed what ever i can get. its just that i heard that they dont make haylage.

how much are you looking for a set of shoes then?

Also iv read that to compete that you have to take some kind of  tests to prove your ability?

I compete in show jumping, dressage, xc and showing (hunters, wh) Is there any showing there and what are the classes like?

I also pay 60 euro's for the farrier (shoes)

I don't know alot about the shows, I've been reading about it and also heard about the "test" you have to pass, galop1 galop2 ...etc but not sure.

this site www.equineonline.com  is a english horsey forum. many people there who can answer your questions. there's also someone who makes (?) haylage himself but I believe he's in the northern of france.

or check www.ffe.com for info about shows and stuff, site is in french though.

• 4 weeks later...