Kitten lost

Rob Roy

We have not seen our black and white kitten, Smudge, since Sunday morning. We don't know what has happened to it but I have a horrible feeling it might have fallen down the well, but don't know for sure, which for me is the worse thing[:(]. It was such a sweet little thing and it's mum was so good with them. We still have the black one, called Sootie for some reason!

[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i312/Bouillaguet/Venturingout04.jpg[/IMG]

That's so sad[:'(]

Our cat went Awol once, but he wasn't a kitten. I had just about given up on him after 3 days and then he re-appeared, limping very badly.

I suppose even if  Smudge didn't fall down the well in these temperatures, there isn't much hope for a teeny one?

I think I'd feel the same way, regarding 'not knowing'. [:'(]

Thank you Tresco. Yes, I have been through all the possible scenarios in my head, searched the barns, looked down the well but it is far too deep to see anything. I watched mum who didn't seem too worried until Sunday evening when she was calling and calling everywhere outside for her missing baby. Although they had been in the house for the first 6 weeks she took them out to live in the barn about 10 days ago, which I didn't mind as I don't want three cats living in the house. Although the well is fenced the cats can get between the bars, and unfortunately seem to like playing around it [:@]

oh i hate reading things like this.   If i don't see my cat for a couple of hours I am running around like a mad-woman looking (generally he doesnt stray too far so couple of hours is a long time for him not to come and pop his head around the door).    Kittens though, you can't watch them all the time and sometimes things do happen to them unfortunately and is this weather they will look for somewhere cool to hide out, so sadly the well could be that place.     I do feel  for you.

You can imagine how delighted I was to see the black kitten sitting on the wall inside the well fencing this morning! [:-))] He came out when I called him, but I know that won't stop him. His mother was the same when she was small, I don't know why or what the fascination is.

What am I missing? You've lost one kitten, presumed drowned. But it is still possible for the other kitten to get into the well? Why is the well impossible to make safe? Perhaps, as Christine says, by using wire mesh around the existing fencing if it is difficult to make the top safe. Surely the well isn't such an usual design that the local Point Vert cannot provide a fine enough mesh to save the second one from a watery death?

I presume you mean unusual. If you have a look at our website in the 'Accomodation' section you will see that the well is a design that is particular to this part of Correze. I have put some wire mesh at the bottom of the gate, but we will be fencing the sides off this weekend. As I said originally falling in the well is only one of the possibilities for the kitten's disappearance - living in the country there are many others.

Sorry about the lost kitten, there are so many things that could have happened - they don't bare thinking about - so don't.  I had a bad experience a few weeks ago too, our kitten got into the wheel arch of my car and I drove my daughter to school without the slightest idea.  The inevitable happened and it was awful, but I prefer knowing what happened.  At least we could bury her - so sorry Rob Roy.

I read about a technique of keeping cats away from dangerous areas - or even from damaging  good furniture when they're indoors.  You get a childs water pistol,  and when the  cat approaches the 'forbidden' area, you position yourself in a place out of their view and squirt the cat!  It works most of the time but you may have to repeat the process a few times before he gets the message.