Vets in France

Veloman

One of our cats died recently. After my wife & I were given the bad news following a blood test at the veterinary surgery, we asked the vet if they would come out to our house to put our cat to sleep. To our astonishment, this request was met with a look of complete incredulity & the vet said to us "why do you want me to do this? I cannot come to your house, it has to be done at the surgery". At a very distressing time for my wife & I, the vet treated us with a total lack of understanding & compassion. As our cat was not suffering, we decided to take her home with us where she died peacefully a day later. We are very glad we made this decision. Our reason for posting this message is to try to establish whether it is the policy of all vets in France to refuse to come to their clients' homes to put pets to sleep. We are concerned because we have another elderly cat & would also like to make other animal lovers aware of this state of affairs so that they can perhaps ask their vet what their policy is, in case they are faced with a similar situation in the future.

To be perfectly honest, I would rather this be done at the vets surgery than at home.  It's hard enough as it is without thinking everying time you go into your lounge/bedroom or wherever to think this was the place my cat/dog died.  I have a hard enough time when I see the clothes I wore when I had my dog PTS peacefully (and that was 5 years ago!), at the vets surgery, with me with her.  I would not be able to bear to have it done at home.  She died in my arms, I was there holding her right until the end and, as far as I am concerned, that was the most important thing - she knew she was not alone..

The vet we use were we live, who is French, is fine about this and indeed approves if it's what you want, removes any stress for the animal concerned, we have had some of ours euthanized at home. Having said that, the vet we first used when we came here couldn't understand that anyone should have any concern for animals pain or suffering, makes you wonder, why choose to be a vet?

Chris

Velomen out of interest was your vet young or old,I find the young vets in the U.K. so understanding compared with the older ones, I really know what you have been through, I nursed my cat last year she was only four and had a tumour and nothing could be done , it was heartbreaking and I got quite depressed after I had to have her put to sleep, the english vet was so fantastic and helped me with a new treatment to make her last weeks bearable. I wonder if it is the same in France with the younger vets.Incidently, I have a new kitten she is 9 months now and whilst I will never forget my last cat, my new one has brought such joy to the house,she is comming to France with me in the summer for 10 weeks, so I also have to find a vet and it is worrying me a bit.

My own experience of French vets and animal care is that it is “very down to earth”.  It is different from that in the UK though this does not mean that vets nor people care for their animals any less.

I am fortunate in that I have not yet needed to have any of my pets put to sleep.  However, when I first moved here I was surprised at practices I experience at my French vet surgery.  On one occasion I was in the waiting room with a dog who has just had an operation.  It was still unconscious with a drip attached.

When I had my male castrated in the UK I delivered the dog to the vets when it was taken from me and I was then allowed to collect him that evening.  Everything well hidden from my view.  However, when I had my female pup spayed in France, the initial aesthetic was administered on the waiting room floor where the dog then became very very groggy, etc.

Initially I found such practices surprising, though after reflection realised they were just allowing people to see more of what goes on behind closed doors in the UK.  My pup managed to rip a dew claw which, after a couple of weeks would not heel decently so with the vet I decided to have it removed.  done there and then.  Dog anesthetised, on operating table, etc. vet nurse popped-in occasionally but it was me who was actually assisting with the operation (not doing anything to the dog, but holding leg in position, wiping things clear, etc.

It might be that my vets are quite rural and thus are maybe more used to having farmers, etc. help.  who knows.

I’m sorry you were distressed at what must have been a very difficult time and hope you find another vet who can provide what you seek.

Ian

[quote user="vervialle"]I nursed my cat last year she was only four and had a tumour and nothing could be done , it was heartbreaking and I got quite depressed after I had to have her put to sleep, the english vet was so fantastic and helped me with a new treatment to make her last weeks bearable. .[/quote]

Vervialle

Could you possibly pm me with details of the treatment your vet gave you for your cat. Mine was diagnosed with cancer on Thursday and I am looking after him at home. The vet has put him on steroids (prednisolone) as he says it's inoperable. Thanks

I think it's an individual, personality thing.  We have a lovely vet.  He's Vietnamese (although everyone around here thinks he's Chinese!) and is extremely compassionate and loving towards the animals in his care.  I know several people who hold him in the highest regard for having saved their pets in really hopeless situations.

I had great vets in the U.S., and ones who were less than wonderful as well, but who charged a small fortune for their services.  So, I don't think it's cultural at all.  Although, Ian may be right about it being a rural vs. city thing.

PG

Our cat died too recently. he was sick and we brought him to the vet, he said that he had kidneystones and that he would be treated and should be home in 2-3 days. but he was an old cat and just to sick and he died during "surgery" we had to pick him up, and my dad asked how much he had to pay, answer.. nothing he was sedated had an IV and spend a whole afternoon at the clinic and we didn't even had to pay. plus that our vet is excelent.

• 2 months later...

Hello: your message was posted some time ago, but I though it might be helpful to share with you my experiences.  I live in NW London. We have a lovely vet practice - the staff are great - BUT they do  not do house calls for any reason at all.  Euthaising at home is a complete no-no.  As far as help with eardrops/ injections for elderly owners who cannot cope - well, there is a private company.

With all good wishes

Queenie

I probably know the answer to this will be 'no' but, does anyone know of a Pet Cemetery service in France. In Rossendale, near where I lived in the UK, there was a Pet crematorium and cemetery. You took your pet when it had passed away, there was a chapel of rest, you could even attend the cremation if it was for your pet only. Then you got the ashes back in a casket. All the staff were absolutely wonderful on the 2 occassions I had to use the service. They were kind and understanding and you really felt you could let your feelings go and not feel foolish. The cost was around £100 each time which, after the years of joy my husband and I had had from our pets, was a small price to pay. We have 2 dogs and 2 cats here in Charente and I would like to do something similar when the time comes for them ( my old cat is 22! ).

Thanks Christine. I've checked out the web site and it looks like a 2 hour journey to my nearest but that's fine, at least I can make enquiries sooner rather than too late. Don't get me wrong, my old lass is in fine fettle ( fingers crossed, touch  wood etc ) so hopefully she's got years in her. She's deaf as a door post and as a result miaows like a fog horn ( think deaf elderly people talking ) but our local vet says she's in better condition than some 13 year olds he's seen! Last time she was there he made all his staff come in to see her!

This is her ( on the right, the left one is pot!! ). Her eyes are a bit faded and she's all bones but she's still enjoying life.

Vickybear - pet cremation appears to be the norm in France. Some vets with refrigeration facilities arrange it all - paperwork, take the payment, have the pet collected, take delivery of the ashes, and phone you to announce their return. Alternatively you can opt to have a "non-individual-cremation" with no ashes. Your vet will have  the details. We had personal experience of this recently and it all went very smoothly at an upsetting time.

Veloman - as far as euthanasing at home, muchly preferable I think. We used to do that in the UK. One thing to bear in mind with a home visit is you can allow other family pets to see the dead body. This apparently does help animals who are particularly attached to each other understand the disappearance of a friend. It appears - and I do believe this, having had experience of that too - that it works.

I suspect some vets are happy to do home visits, some aren't so if you think you're going to be in the position of needing a home visit, ask around to find a vet that will. It's to benefit the animal and though I can understand the temptation to see a corner of the kitchen as "the spot that Spot died" if I had an animal who hated the vet, I'd prefer the animal's last memory to be a corner of the kitchen than  fear and loathing at the vet if your pet hates the place.

KathyC - sorry to hear about your cat. Good luck and hope you can enjoy your time with him.