Bats in the belfry?

No bats in the belfry, but bats behind the fascia board above our front door.

In the past week we have heard much sqeaking and then mouse droppings on our front doorstep. Last night, in the twilight, I was surprised when I observed six tiny bats exit from a very small slit underneath the board.

Question: Other than the droppings, they don't seem to be any inconvenience, but here in France, are they a protected species? Most importantly, is there any humane way that we could persuade them to move there habitat?

I have had no previous expereince of bats, other than the table tennis or cricket varieties, so I would appreciate any advice from any knowledgeable batty person. Thank you!

Our bats move quarters between summer and winter so yours may just do that. The problem is that if they are hibernating you may seal them in if you do seal up the space once they seem to have left.

I personally would be happy as we are with our bats who are probably in the roof overhang as they spend all their time eating bugs including those that bite.

I am assuming they are protected as we went to a reasturant recently and were told that when our friends went there 3 years ago a bat came into the place on the stroke of 10, flew around for 5 mins and then left, well it was still arriving at 10 pm three years later and the owners had and did nothing to disturb it.

Di
http://www.iceni-it.co.uk

On the subject of bats and other wildlife I've just got back from a week at our place in 87 and the evenings were wonderful - first the bats appeared at the start of dusk - flying low and circling us as we finished our barbecues. So fascinating to watch.

Shortly afterwards the hedgehog would come and join in the party.

Then as a finale we would hear what at first seemed to be heavy breathing but later we recognised as the call of the young owls. This would wake up father, who sleeps in the barn, to emerge and swoop low across the garden stretching his wings and mum would scrabble up the chimney from the nest to join him in the hunting. I felt privledged to share my house with such beautiful creatures. Seeing them go off hunting against the beautiful clear starry skies in Limousin is something I shall treasure forever.

www.limousingites.net

I wonder if anyone has been sucessful in housing Bats in 'Bat Boxes'? I have put two up over the last few months and am waiting in anticipation to have occupants. I think July is the breeding season so I suppose I should not expect any just now but interested in knowing perhaps when they look for new roosting places.

• 2 weeks later...
We are also suddenly finding lots of small bats between our open shutters and the walls.

Today 40 plus flew out from behind one shutter alone! Never having spotted more than the odd solitary one before in our almost 3 months of living in France, I got a heart thumping shock when they all flocked out.

Does anyone know what type they are likely to be - fruit bats or something more erm ... scary?

Our guests are really quite small and furry - looking a little like the pygmy ones on here ...

http://www.press.jhu.edu/books/walkers_mammals_of_the_world/chiroptera/chiroptera.pteropodidae.images.html

Manxie