taking dog to spain

vab

We would like to visit friends in Spain taking our dog with us. Our dog has been microchipped, all inoculations are up to date including Rabies but we only had the necessary jabs to bring her to France from UK so for return trips to UK she will go into kennels. Is this adequate for crossing the border into Spain?

Provided you have it all recorded in a Pet Passport and provided the rabies vaccination is up-to-date (and first more than 21 days ago) - yes. You do not need the blood test, etc. for Spain.

As an aside, I always get very depressed reading about dogs needing a new home as their owners circumstances have changed and they cannot wait the 6 months to allow the dogs to return to the UK with them. Sometimes unforeseen situations arise and circumstances change. I would encourage you to get the blood test done just in case. Its not expensive - almost certainly cheaper than the kennel bills when you visit the UK !! (everything else is just as normal and no other extra costs). Blood test is once only (provided you keep the rabies up-to-date. At least then you can be confidant that should anything unexpected happen, you dog can come with you.

I know your circumstances wont change - but the same was true for all those whose dogs now live in rescue for with some other family in France because of the time it takes before a dog can enter the UK.

Ian

Thank you for all the info...very helpful. Yes I agree with you regarding all the dogs left in rescue centres, Our dog in almost twelve years of age and I could never do that to her. Unfortunately, we lost our six yeaar old Boxer dog only ten days before sailing to France, he died very suddenly and although that was over six months ago his loss is still hurting us deeply and our old dog still misss him. I check the rescue centres in Niort and Poitiers on line and it breaks my heart to see such wonderful animals under a death sentence. I know we will get one eventually as all my dogs over the years have been other peoples rejects.

The thing with these jabs, and yes our dog has them, is that you never get asked for the paperwork. The only and I mean only time was when we bought the dog to France and we were asked for them at the UK departure point prior to departing the UK. Its not that anyone was being secretive either, large stickers were placed on our windscreen so the French could spot us once we arrived in France. We were given instructions on what to do if we got 'pulled' when we got off the train etc but nobody seemed to care. Likewise going back and forth to Spain we have never actually been asked for anything by either side. Having said that the next time we go we will now get a 'pull' of course

I take my dogs into Spain all the time.  (It's 30 miles away from me).  There are no check points that are manned near me but I do always take their pet passports with me.  I suppose it depends what route you take as to whether you are likely to encounter manned check points.

[quote user="Deimos"]I would encourage you to get the blood test done just in case. Its not expensive - [/quote]

Yes it is, it's 90 euros!   Plus the appointment for the prise de sang at the vet.

Cheaper than kennels, but not something you do regularly just for the fun of it.   Our vet said that in his opinion it's not worth the bother and expense of taking a dog to the UK just for short visits.

SB wrote: "Yes it is, it's 90 euros!"

Mine was only 65 euros. Not a vet thing but the departmental veterinary laboratories who did the blood test. Vets did not charge for taking the blood sample (its no trouble for them) and sending it off and I paid the test lab directly. Blood test is a once off (provided you keep the rabies booster up-to-date).

SB wrote: "... and expense of taking a dog to the UK just for short visits".

Where is the expense for taking a dog to the UK with you for a visit. Last ferry I took charged £15 for a dog (and that was more than I had paid previously). Tick and tapeworm treatment is the same as people do for their dogs on a routine basis anyway (ticks each month, worms several times per year). Vets (should) charge virtually nothing to administer the treatments and fill in the passport.

I have the feeling that some people are being a bit ripped-off by their vets in France. As with all things, I've found if one is friendly to people you get a much better service. I've seen instances where the "service level" is directly affected by how well one gets on with people. Visited the vet some time ago about 5pm, no appointment and a waiting room full of people. One of the vets saw me, and immediately took me into an empty surgery. I commented there were others waiting to which he made a dismissive gesture and I got sorted out immediately.

Ian

No it may not be expensive for you, Ian, but for those of us that live "darn sarf" the costs clock up a bit more - not just the cost of the tick/worm treatement but the hassle of taking the car goodness knows how many kms to the nearest port when I, for one, could fly for a fraction of the cost!!  I guess that's more what SB's vet had in mind.   The last time I took the dogs back to the UK was in October 2 years ago.  I am, however, still getting my new pup a passport "just in case (we qualify for Crufts one day! [:D]!!)".  There's no way I'm leaving her anywhere!