Common Household Medications for dogs

PossumGirl

[quote user="PossumGirl"]A friend sent me this link to a table that shows common household medications you can give your dog (and ones you shouldn't), along with dosages for their weight.  I thought it was a really useful thing to have around.

PG

[/quote]

Thanks for posting that, you could save a dogs life with the info there.

Would also like to add, salt water is another method if forcing a dog to vomit, if you suspect its eaten something it shouldnt have.

Buffered aspirin is childs/infants aspirin,,,,can anyone confirm this?

Would also like to add, that antibiotics should be a minimum of a 5 day course, and you should continue dosage for 2-3 days after infection has cleared up.

[quote user="KathyC"]When we needed something calming for our dog whilst travelling, our vet gave him diazepam (valium). Fortunately he didn't need it all so it came in very handy for my next visit to the dentist![/quote]

Kathy, I actually prefer Xanax (Alprazolam) to Valium for the dog, because it is less sedating and is very safe.  I use it for Maggie during thunderstorms and fireworks!  My pharmacy just sells the generic to me without a prescription!

PG

Just before christmas late one evening my husband went to feed the dogs who had been in the utility room  when he noticed a small amount of chewed up foil and the remains of a packet of Imodium! We did not know which of the three dogs had stolen and then chewed them. Now I dont know were it was but I do know that it was a full box of 8 tables! We have three small dogs ; 2 yorkies about 2.5-3kg and 1 westie cross about 5kg and all three looked guilty. So we had to wait to see what happened next[:-))] I got up in the night to see if they were ok but next morning we found the culprit, it was Daisy one of the yorkies( she the one in my avitar) she was now being sick[+o(] and so I took her straight to the vet (only a mile away) she was examined and put on a drip for 12 hours. they told me that had she been a large dog she would have been alright, but being only 3kg it was quite serious. She came home after 24 hours but it took several days before she stoped having constipation[:(]

I had a bill from the vet for about £125[:-))]

Chipie

A friend's dog was bitten by an adder today, she's on a drip in the vets at the moment and the next 48 hours are critical.  I tend to take antihistimine tablets on walks with me just in case to give a little extra time to get the vets.  Adders are just waking up and are a bit sluggish at this time of year so are more likely to bite so be a bit careful out there.  This happened in the UK and following getting her to the vet my friend then had to drive to the hospital to pick up anti-vemon as vets aren't allowed to store it.

Bach Rescue Remedy is excellent for calming both dogs and humans.  Our old dog is frightened of thunderstorms and fireworks so if there is a storm he gets Rescue Remedy and a safe hidey hole where he can get away from the horrid noises.  When it come to November 5th we plug in the DAP (Dog appeasing pheromone) diffuser a few weeks before the big night and have had great success with that and Rescue Remedy, he now might lift his head occasionally if there is a loud bang instead of pacing, shaking and drooling all evening.

Arnica pillules are great for healing bruising, so we use those if they ever hurt themselves and also for the times they've had surgery, mostly when they've been spayed/neutered. 

I know several people around here who keep aniivenin kits with them during viper season. I may ask our vet about that next time we go.

I've tried Rescue Remedy and DAP with no success on either front, I'm afraid.  Arnica is great though for pets and people!

PG