My dog has nightmares

Mr Coeur de Lion

He's always had probably one or two bad dreams a week, but now they are becoming more frequent, every other night. He is very loved and with us most of the time, has a little companion and is generally very happy. But his bad dreams are becoming more frequent. Is there anything we could do to help him? Would prefer not to use drugs if at all possible.

Yeah, that's what he does. Always assumed he was having nightmares. Hope you are right :) He must be very happy. I know he loves France more than stinking hot Australia and spends a lot of time sitting on the back step looking at the views and smelling flowers etc. His excercise rate has gone down a lot as we had an acre in Australia for him to run in and only 200 sq metres now. Maybe in dreams is where he gets excercise now.

hi, dogs have involuntary muscle spasms when resting / sleeping due to neuro messages being sent. whimpering and such are normal and can appear to be "a bad dream ", nothing to worry about unless your dog displays problems when mobile also ( spasms, shaking ), then its possibly medical or food intolerance problems.

again, if it's just during slumber, don't worry.

good luck

HI,

Our pooch does exactly the same, twitching and wimpering in her sleep, we put it down to chasing lizards because she is more 'active' after a hard day hunting but not catching!

I also agree with Monty01 regarding displays when mobile, our pooch on occasion has 'fits' (hayfever according to one vet!) which she has during the night and also during the day, no big issue, but the difference in breathing etc is noticable, I think if your pooch is content during the day, then nightime is dreaming about tomorrow!

happy dreamin[:)]

kimberley

• 1 year later...