removals

Joanne

On recommendations I had a quotes from Anglo French (01233 660963), Movers International (01772 651570) and Whites (Plymouth 01752 896577).

We've actually decided to use a local firm who have been recommended to us as they were much cheaper and I felt happier that they could come into our home and assess what we had rather than us trying to estimate over the phone.

Hope that helps

Hi!

I had a quote from Alex Day, can't find his number at the moment. He seemed a very pleasent and helpful bloke, however, hw can't really come around to your house and assess what's required.  I would suggest that if you have a normal 3 bed semi to move he would not be any use to you, as he has a long base van and large box trailer.  If you are confident that the van & trailer will suffice, give him a call (if you get his number!) He also seems to be very flexible and will try to fit in with your plans.

Regards,

Bob

Hi,

We used Alec Day for one piece of furniture I inherited so I couldn't comment on how he would be for a whole house move. He did hang around quite a long time over a cup of tea, but then I suppose he gets lonely with all that solitary driving!!

If you're interested, after reading between the lines on Iceni's post, the phone number I have for him is a uk mobile 0044  7831 121555 unless he's changed it - that was over a year ago.

Hi,

I used a private bloke called John from Hampshire (advertises in LF magazine - can't remember his details) for our first mini-move out here (we were going into furnished rental at the time) - he was great, but we felt his lorry was a bit too small for our "real" move some 12 months later so we used a "professional" company from South London. They were an absolute joke and I wouldn't even recommend them to my worst enemy. The "insurance" wasn't worth the paper it was written on.

If I were doing it again I'd use a small private bloke & forget the big companies - the risks are the same but the costs are substantially different.

Alec's number is 00447831121555.  We used him based on all the positive feedback we'd read here and he was indeed fantastic.  He saved us a fortune and was completely flexible around our needs.  He spent his Easter bank holiday weekend driving our furniture and some other bits and pieces to Languedoc and back despite having a bad back.  He drives safely and responsibly and stacks the van and trailer properly taking care of our belongings.  I can see why Volvo, Range Rover and others entrust delivery of their pre-market products to secret locations to him. 

I was so surprised to read something negative here about him that I felt I had to write this.  I guess you can't be perfect all the time. 

Cheers

Joe

Well I must eat my own words. 

I recently had a quote of over £8,000 to move from Mid Wales to Limoge by a professional company (2,000 sq ft of furniture) and so did some sums and found I could do this privately for £2,250.  However, I recently contacted Allied Pickfords, who have quoted £2,900 (and they do the packing...bit to late as she who speaks thunder has this 90% complete).  Needless to say I have decided to go with Pickfords.

I would add that we are putting stuff into storgae for between 3-6 months.  When I asked why the quote was so cheap they were very honest and stated that they make they money on the storgae costs £48 per week.

Could be worth trying when you conside we need two trucks for 2 days to move the stuff from here to Cardiff for storage and then 1 large (or 2 small trucks) from Cardiff to where ever we finally purchase.  We used Limoges as a baseline for getting the distances sorted for the quotes.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Mike L

We also used Pickfords. Their quote was very good, and we had used them for our previous move which we had been happy with. A team of six packed all our belongings and it was all put in storage for 48 hours (according to our plans) before being driven out by the team leader, a local chap was hired to help with the unloading.

It all went very smoothly. A couple of items were damaged very slightly (a minor scratch on our huge TV screen and a pair of fragile lamps were chipped) during the move. The insurance was easy to claim and the money received covered most of the removal costs!

I used Burke Brothers from Wolverhampton to move from London to Flers. I had 4 quotes for my move and the prices ranged wildly from £2800 to £7000 !!! I felt confident with Burkes. Thier M.D. took time to come and see me one afternoon to discuss the move. This was after being at a meeting in London all morning!!

The price given with insurance came to just over £6000. The service i received far exceeded what i paid. Having lived in most European countries, i have experienced a variety of moves, some good, some bad. This move was at the top end of very good!!

Recommend them??? You only do this size of move once ( God willing ). Do it right and enjoy it!!

[quote]We also used Pickfords. Their quote was very good, and we had used them for our previous move which we had been happy with. A team of six packed all our belongings and it was all put in storage for 48...[/quote]

How refreshing to read that someone is not afraid of spending money. The usual question is about the cheapest way and then even horse and carts are to expensive!

Pickfords have shipped stuff and stored it all around the World for me with very little damage or worry.

You get what you pay for in this World!