Please help idiot to change gas bottle.....!

Chrissie

Okay, so it's long past dinner time and I can't get the hob to light.  No problem, surely - TOH is always saying how easy it is to change over the gas bottles (big gold things, propane I think).

So I go outside and turn the dial from right to left.  Rather imaginatively, I feel, I also close the valve at the top of the empty bottle and open the one on the top of the other one.  There is a slight hiss.

Back up the stairs again (it's a long hike from the kitchen to the bottles although it's only about 2 metres vertically...) and although the hob is sparking well, and I've held down all the buttons for ages, there is NO FLAME.  There isn't any smell of gas anywhere and all the connections look OK.

Please someone help a poor starving idiot whose husband is away and will doubtless laugh like a drain if there is something obvious I've overlooked!

Chrissie 

(81)

I don't know about your sort of setup but on my small cylinder valve there is a small black knob which I think is a fail safe device. Push this in and this resets the device and lets gas flow along the pipe.

I found this out after pressing the lighting device to no avail for about 15 minutes.

I hope it is as easy for you.

Weedon(53)

Oh wow!

Inspired by your suggestion, I got down on my knees (and prayed) and hunted around the greasy bits in the back of the kitchen cupboards and YESSSS! -  I found a (cream) cylindrical button which I pressed and fiddled with and turned and...

THERE WAS FIRE!

Thank you so much, weedon.  I've actually got a bit past eating now (having got outside half a box of nuts and about 4 glasses of wine) but I am so relieved, I can't tell you.  Was convinced I was in for an expensive repair of some sort or perhaps an explosion later in the night.  Can now sleep easy, except for a touch of indigestion perhaps (no cracks please, about explosions in the night.....).

Thanks again

Chrissie