Goats

Joanna

We're thinking of getting a petrol free bramble and grass controller - aka a medium size goat.  We've been offered a kid by a neighbour who says she will be fine on her own but I was wondering if goats need company like horses or if they really are OK with just the companionship of a passing dog etc.  Also how much noise do they make?  The mother goat was making a terrible racket, her besotted owner said it was just because she was watching over  her kids and she's practically silent at other times.  Is this really true? 

Hello

I have a goats (3) and I would say get at least two as they are prone to trying to escape and being lonely would make them worse.  Mine are not noisy unless they see me in the garden and want to be fed, even then it's just a very gentle baaaaaa, nothing to worry about at all.  The kids do scream and I mean scream, just like a baby if they feel in danger.  Is the kid you've been offered a boy or girl, if it's a boy he will definitely try to escape to get to a female if he has not been castrated.  

Having said all of that they are sweet little creatures and I love mine despite having to make my land goat proof which has cost a fair amount! 

Panda

A goat will have some kind of life on its own, but they are herd animals, and are happiest together. Females are very noisy when in season, and males are smelly - they have scent glands on their foreheads and elsewhere. And they don't just eat anything. You may find that the weeds you want controlled are the ones they won't eat! In the wild, they will range over a large area to find the right grazing. You may find yourself having to supplement the kid's diet with goat food - a mix of barley, maize, oats etc. Grass is of low nutritonal value. PM me if you want more info.

Hello

Well I have a female who has been on heat without so much as a raised baaaaa (probably because she lives permanently with her mate so has no need to call for one), a male that lives happily in about 3 acres and does not smell at all and eats the grass!  So am I lucky??  They do try and get to other grazing, I'm about to give them another few acres to graze in as they do seem to like a change of scenery, but smelly and noisy mine most definitely are not, (if they were I wouldn't love them now would I?)!

Panda

[quote user="Framboise"]In the case of my goat, the only smelly things are my dogs having discovered the delights of rolling in goat doo.   They are not averse to rolling in goose plop either.  YUK[/quote]

Yes mine too, and ducks and chicken poo as well. why do they do that?

My dad says its because they think they are disguising their own scent to help when  hunting, however since mine seem to hunt biscuits and baguette ends the stink sort of gives the game away.   His dog once found a decomposing fish down by the river, rolled in it and he had to get home in the car beside that STENCH!!!!

Hi!  I recently lost my old lawnmower, Sam, a castrated Alpine male aged 16.  So I now have a nice big paddock with shade trees,  a goat-selected range of other plants and a large new shed for immediate occupancy.  Does anyone have a spare goat, or two, or three, as I have several other plots that need a goat.  Please email.  I am in 49 and can collect from anywhere in NW France. 

Contact details edited by the moderators. Please use the PM or email buttons on this post to contact the poster.