Pets and new wood burning stove fumes.

JohnRoss

Last year Jackie reported on the effects of high temperature paint fumes on our old cat. See http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1/1276053/ShowPost.aspx#1276053

The stove, having been used with no reoccurrence of the problem reported, was lit up for the first time this Autumn today. Again the unmistakable smell of the paint on the outside surface of the stove though not as strong as when it was new. We ran it all afternoon with windows open and extractor fans on until the smell disappeared. All is now well but it does suggest that some of the high temperature paint must have reverted during the late Spring and Summer and needed to cure again, is this possible?

When this happened last year the fumes coming off were visible and the effects on the cat were to give stroke like symptoms although apart from the pong it seemed to have little effect on us. This was a one off for our cat and he has not had these symptoms since so I suspect that it was no pure coincidence.

I post this as a warning to anyone who has had a  new installation and might have the same problem. In our case the manufacturer did warn that there would be a smell the first time of use and that ventilation was important but they did not indicate the risk to animals. It is likely that a cat or a dog, being small, might be affected before its owner. Has anyone else noticed this effect with a stove they have had fitted of late?.........JR

[quote user="JohnRoss"]

Last year Jackie reported on the effects of high temperature paint fumes on our old cat. See http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1/1276053/ShowPost.aspx#1276053

In our case the manufacturer did warn that there would be a smell the first time of use and that ventilation was important but they did not indicate the risk to animals. It is likely that a cat or a dog, being small, might be affected before its owner. Has anyone else noticed this effect with a stove they have had fitted of late?
[/quote]

Was this reaction due to the cat being at floor level and suffering from an intake of 'fumes' which were heavy and therefore sank to floor level?

Having forgotten most of the chemistry I learnt for O level I cannot suggest what gases/fumes/emanations might be heavier than air; but it is a thought.

Sue

Yes indeed that is possible I would think and our cat does spend most of his time at floor level, when he is not on the sofa! Several manufactures warn of the smell when their paint is curing at high temperature and some advise removing old folk and children from the room so clearly this type of paint can give off toxic fumes when heated. Most advise good ventilation for a day or two. This was not something of which I was aware before the event so I hope other people don't have the same problem with their pets. I hate to think what it could do to a canary or a budgie!................JR