Taking a dog to USA

audio

I brought my dog over to France from Australia. I used a company called Pet Containers (I think they were called). They're an Australian company and they did everything, the jabs, the paperwork, the sterilisation (not neuter, but a sterilisating wash).

It cost about $1400AUD 4 years ago, but of course the flight from Australia is 3 times as long as it is to the US, but hopefully that should give you an idea of cost.

They didn't give him any medication to knock him out on the flight as this is deemed to risky nowadays.

Everything went according to plan except when we arrived (he flew the same plane as us), we were supposed to pick him up from excess baggage, instead of which some idiot sent him onto a cargo bay.

So after a 26 hour fight from Australia, we had to go on a 4 hour mission to find where they'd sent my dog.Wasn't very impressed. Dead tired, foreign country, driving on the wrong side of the road, severley jet lagged and no idea where to go.

When we did find him, he was in a corner of a big cargo building, still in his box and absolutely confused as hell. He wasn't partuicularly pleased to see us either, so traumatised was he.

He slept 3 days straight.

So if you do go, make sure they treat him right and do what they claim they are going to do.

Hope this info helps.

We have made the trip back and forth from Portland, Oregon to Paris with our dogs numerous times. We have not had a problem except once when our dogs did not arrive with us on the last leg from Frankfurt. They arrived on the next plane an hour later. The main things are to make sure your dog has current rabies vaccination and a Health Certificate from your French vet. Your dog will need to be in an airline approved cage with a water and food dish. We strap a tongue activated water bottle to the door of the cage so the dogs can drink when they want. I would be happy to tell you more details if you want to send me a private email. It is not too hard. Expect to pay about 200-250 US$ each way. If you can fly direct to your location it is better as the difficulties seem to be with connecting flights especially if the time between flights is short. Jim