Taking a dog to the US

Rowan

Has anyone ever taken a dog from France to the US, please? An American woman is interested in adopting one of the dogs from the Carcassonne SPA and has asked me to look into the costs and logistics. HELP please! I know it is a bit crazy, but as people may know from the animal welfare forum, the SPA is overflowing and we need to get some dogs out of there before it is too late for them!

Thanks for any advice!

Bringing an Animal into the United States

Dogs are one of the

animal

species for which you must follow specific regulations in order to bring

them into the U.S.

CDC regulations

govern the importation of animals and animal products capable of

causing human disease.  Pets taken out of the United States are

subject upon return to the same regulations as those entering for the

first time.

CDC has learned that Internet scammers are falsely representing

themselves as CDC employees in e-mails to U.S. citizens.  Learn more

about internet

adoption scams

The CDC does not require general certificates of health for pets

for entry into the United States. However, health certificates may be

required for entry into some states, or may be required by airlines for

pets. You should check with officials in your state of destination and

with your airline prior to your travel date.

Animals Regulated by CDC: What You Need To Know

Dogs

That is really useful, Merlin, thanks.

The only restriction appears to be the rabies jab....According to the website the dog cannot arrive in the US till 30 days after the jab. That sounds like it is quite do-able, as there isn't any mention of blood tests to check the antibodies. Or is this me being stupid?

Thanks

Rowan

I would be inclined to double check Rowan as this was just a quick google.  I think that a quick call to the American Embassy in Paris would be best of all.  I read it like you do but there's no harm in doing a belt an braces job is there.

Thanks. I will do.Just thought someone else may have actually done it. I know lots of people who have moved dogs from England to the US and back, but not from a country that is not rabies free. I will get onto the Embassy tomorrow. Hopefully all we need is someone to take the dog for the 30 days, which should be do-able!

Thanks again!

We have taken our dogs back and forth from France, Holland and Germany to the USA numerous times.  Right now the USA requirements are that your dog have a valid rabies certificate, a micro chip, and a health certificate.  It is best if the health cert. is within ten days of arrival in the US.  The costs are quite variable depending on if the dog is accompanying the passenger or being shipped.  We have paid between 200-250 dollars or equivelent in euros for one-way accompanying us on the same plane.  I have no idea what it would cost to ship the dog. Let me know if you want more specifics. We feel like we are quite expert on the subject by now.

James

James

Thanks

By a valid rabies certificate I am guessing that means the jab plus a 6 month wait then the antibodies test, yes? The rest of it will be no problem, of course, but if this lady does want to adopt, we will need to find someone to take him for the 6 months....

I will get in touch with her and see what she thinks...

Rowan,

I am not aware of a rule about waiting six months after the rabies jab.  Check out this page on the US Customs web site. It suggests that if the dog has had rabies jabs regularly that it may be admitted without delay. If not, then there must be a 30 delay after the jab, unless it is a puppy which has different requirements. Much easier that importing to EU, or particularly to England.

James